Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Whats a better bullet? nosler partition or ballistic silver tip? >

Whats a better bullet? nosler partition or ballistic silver tip?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Whats a better bullet? nosler partition or ballistic silver tip?

Old 06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Spike

Default Whats a better bullet? nosler partition or ballistic silver tip?

I was wondering if ballistic silver tips are as good, better, or worse then partition bullets? I know they are coated differently but is there a real difference? It seems more people go with partition, just wondering why?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats a better bullet? nosler partition or ballistic silver tip?

2 completely different animals. The Differences roughly are you can use the BST for up to medium game but in 30 cal and up 180 grains it is good on heavier game. The partition is good on medium thru very large game. The partition tends to retain more weight after penetrating but usually no better then 60% and has killed more animals reliably then probably any other big game premium bullet. Go to www.nosler.com and they will show a sectioned example of their bullet types.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The ballistic tip works well in the medium calibers and weights for deer sized game and will work well in the heavier calibers and weights for larger game.The partition does provide more penetration but expansion is not as dramatic so game often runs a little farther before dropping.The ballistic tip is usually more accurate than the partition in most rifles but there are exceptions.I prefer the ballistic tip where shots may be long and the partition on dangerous game.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:14 AM

THEY ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT BULLETS

The partition is for large, tough skined game, elk, moose, bear, kudo etc.
It is a controlled exspansion and PARTITIONED bullet meaning there is a front section of lead then a "wall" of copper then a rear section of lead. Only the front half will mushroom, often loosing a lot of its original weight while the rearward portion of lead stays together to provide penetration.

The ballistic tip bullet is for light, thin skined game, white tails, mule deer, antelope, etc

The ballistic tip is designed to expand violently and rapidly. It is not designed to penetrate very well. I have read and been told that it is a lousy bullet if you hit bone. Because they open up too quickly.

I read a article in Handloader magazine writen by John Barsness (sp) and his feeling is why shoot a ballistic tip....where penetration is questionable when you can shoot a partition or similar bullet where penetration is no as much in doubt especially if you hit bone. Just my 2 1/2 cents and passing on what I read.

personally I have not killed any game with a ballistic tip as I don't reload them or hunt with them as I feal there are much better bullets out there.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

personally I have not killed any game with a ballistic tip
I personally have killed well over three dozen head of big game with ballistic tips(bighorn,whitetail,muledeer,pronghorn,elk and moose) and have personally witnessed another dozen or so big game animals killed with them.There was not a single bullet failure involved in these kills.The unfortunate fact is that the vast majority of people that condemn ballistic tips have no actual first hand experience with them or have used too light a bullet for the application.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with stubble here.

While the ballistic tip is no partition it is no different than Hornady's SST, or any of the many many other bullets available like corelokt, power point, or Sierra game kings and pro-hunters. It is a conventionally constructed bullet just like all the rest except they add a plastic tip to give it a better ballistic coefficient and resist deformation while chambering in your rifle.

I have only taken a couple of animals with them but I did manage to take a bull elk with a 140 grain .270 bullet at 20 yards. The bullet exited the other side of the elk and caused massive ammounts of damage on the way through. To get all the way through an elk at that close of range and velocity I would say that it held together well enough.

I do agree, however, that if heavy bone is encountered the partition is more likley to get through and then penetrate better than a BT will.

Here are the two side by side.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I do agree, however, that if heavy bone is encountered the partition is more likley to get through and then penetrate better than a BT will.
This is the point I was trying to make.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GorV I was wondering if ballistic silver tips are as good, better, or worse then partition bullets? I know they are coated differently but is there a real difference? It seems more people go with partition, just wondering why?

They're both excellent. However, they are "apples & oranges", in that they are not built the same, nor are they intended for the same uses!! The Partition Jacket has a soft front end for maximum explosive damage at close range, and good expansion farther out after velocities are low, plus its' indestructible rear half continues to penetrate NO MATTER HOW FAST IT IS GOING, OR WHAT IT HITS!!

On the other hand, the BS is the same as the Nosler Ballistic Tip - it has a heavy solid base that supports good expansion and gives acceptable penetration on thin-skinned stuff, but the front end is soft and not bonded. Therefor, BS bullets tend to be more frangible and give a lot less penetration than the Partition type. The BS is intended mainly for lighter game, like deer and antelope vs the Partition Jacket, which works for ANYTHING, BUT gives somewhat slower kills on light stuff than the BS......

The new Nosler Accubond performs more like the Partition bullet, but, design-wise, it is essentially a Ballistic Tip with a bonded core.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:29 AM
DM

The Partition Jacket has a soft front end for maximum explosive damage at close range, and good expansion farther out after velocities are low
This is waaay more important that it's given credit for!! Most guys just think a NP is only for "deep penetration", but one of the NP's best points, is how that nose will expand easily at longer ranges!! It also will expand well on lighter animials when you are useing heavier bullets intended for bigger game!!

I've always liked to work up ONE "all around" bullet/load for each of my guns. With NP's, i can load heavier bullets and they will still work fine for smaller animials!!! This is a BIG advantage of NP's!!!

For instance, in my 8x57 jrs, i use 200 grain NP's, and i've shot everything from coyote, and deer, all the way up to moose and bear. The NP's always work as they should, with the nose "blowing off", and the base driveing deep!!!!

The Nosler Partition in the picture, is one of maybe 1/2 doz. i've recover over the years. It's an 8 mm 200 NP, from a big 9 point buck i shot this last fall. The angleing shot was at 200 yards, and the bullet broke both shoulders high up, and also the back. Of course, the buck droped instantly. Actually, i was surprised the bullet didn't exit.

Drilling Man

Old 06-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is waaay more important that it's given credit for!! Most guys just think a NP is only for "deep penetration", but one of the NP's best points, is how that nose will expand easily at longer ranges!! It also will expand well on lighter animials when you are useing heavier bullets intended for bigger game!!
Right on, DM! I always get a kick out of guys who badmouth the NPJ by saying "It just penciled through without expanding", or some other similar BS! How do they know?? The (EXPANDED!!!) bullet is in the next county!!!

Quick Reply: Whats a better bullet? nosler partition or ballistic silver tip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.