Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter

Old 10-21-2003, 02:11 PM

Default New Hunter

I went hunting for the first time this weekend with my boyfreind. What an experince that was. I was wondering if all areas are being taken over by outfiters that are rude, irrational people? I recived a criminal tresspassing ticket for crossing over into unmarked land. I have to say the Game Warden and the Sheriff were very nice and curtiouse carring people that felt horrible for sitting us? Is this becoming a common thing to have outfiters take over the area? It realy has given me a bad taste for outfiters.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:54 PM

Default RE: New Hunter

Welcome to the board and to deer hunting Laura. I wouldn' t let one bad expeirence spoil your whole thought on deer hunting or outfitters. As alsways just be careful and ask for references. Did the guide put you in the wrong location or did you cross over onto the outfitters land by accident? Good Luck!! -- CDH

Old 10-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Unfortunitly we crossed over to outfiter land. Truely it was a mistake and the outfitter was very hosstile and provcing. So now I have to go to court and try to explain to a judge why I do not think I should be branded a criminal the rest of my life.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:31 PM

Well just keep a cool head and I wish you lots of luck. Keep us posted. Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-21-2003, 04:38 PM

I am not the type of person to let that stop me. I plan on haven a big Trophy buck on the wall to look at and laugh about my first experiance. What a mess though.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Laura you have to remember that the outfitters are probably paying for their leases and that it is their income. They are just protecting their investment just like I would protect my investments on my leases. Maybe they should have been nicer, but they may have a problem with tresspassers.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:18 PM

That realy stinks that they have to take it that far for an incidental trespassing. That would realy burn my hide. I wish you luck with talking to the judge or district attorney. Like you said it would be a shame to have criminal trespassing on your record. Maybe try to find some web sites that talk about the various trespassing laws for your area or since the game wardens where nice, try talking to them and see if they have any thoughts.

Hunting is really a beutiful thing, I hope it does not turn you away from hunting.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I' m not sure how the laws work where you' re at but around here the land has to be posted before you can be prosecuted for trespassing. I know we get very irate when we catch someone trespassing on our lease. Our lease has a posted sign every 10 to 15 feet so in our case it would be impossible for someone to " unknowingly" cross over on to our property.

I would recommend that you check into the laws in your area concerning how property should be marked. It sounds to me like the outfitters have not properly marked the property line. Depending on the area you are hunting it could be nearly impossible to know when you cross over to another persons land if it is not marked. Another thing to keep in mind is that game wardens and sherrifs deputies do not always know the laws like they should so definately check into it. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:12 PM

Point well taken thank you for the advice. It was not posted. We went in on Corps land and some were we crossed over into there leased land. If at any time we would have known we would not have been there. The gentle man was on a power trip and was very hostile and degrading. He didnt have enough guts to face us and left as soon as we were called down to the Sheriff and the Game warden. They were very cordial and apoliging for haveing to write us the ticket but he was forcing it and they had to comply. It was the outfitters attitude that botherd me the most he did not have to be so degrading and try to provoke a fight. That is what I do not understand. I come from a farming family about 150 miles away so I do have respect and an understanding. Oh well all I can do is let people know what type of outfitter Deadmen Creek is. Not very good and hostile people on a power trip. That is what is the sadest. He was not happy to see two women out enjoying a sport he felt was a man' s sport.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

If the land was not posted then in my opinion you were definately not at fault. The way I see it, if this outfitter does not want people on his land then it should be properly marked. He had no right to get hostile with you. He should have told you nicely that you were on his land and asked you to leave nicely. Now if he caught you back a second time it would be different. Hopefully things will work out for you. Let us know what happens.

Shane

Quick Reply: New Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.