Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Indiana Hunters!

Old 10-06-2016, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the guy was telling you wrong. The heavier .243 bullets with high ballistic coefficient will travel about the same distance with killing power as a .308 caliber high BC bullet of the same weight. BUT, you get into the heavier weight of the .308 caliber bullet line with high BC and they retain MUCH more energy at distance. Unless you are aiming WAY high, neither round would be dangerous to the farm houses you talked about.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The allowed HPR calibers allowed for the Indiana in 2016 are only allowed on private land. I am going to keep using my 450 Bushmaster for now. The 450 is going to drop a deer at 200 yards as good as anything else IMO.

The odd thing about these new rules is I use a 7mm-08 for coyotes but can't use it for deer when all .243 and .308 diameter calibers can be used. Jumping on the bandwagon now doesn't feel right for me because soon enough the restrictions will be lifted. I will save my money for that time if I choose to make another purchase.

Last edited by d80hunter; 10-06-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

I ended up ordering a .243 barrel for my Encore, hopefully it will be here Tuesday so I can get some range time in before season opens.