Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
One big reason I choose venison instead of lean beef!  Quality meat! >

One big reason I choose venison instead of lean beef! Quality meat!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

One big reason I choose venison instead of lean beef! Quality meat!

Old 01-07-2016, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default One big reason I choose venison instead of lean beef! Quality meat!

I don't know how ya'll mix or grind your venison, but we do a lot of it without adding any pork fat or high-fat beef, so I do have a lot of lean venison packed that I modify when I cook if needed.

A couple weeks ago, I made Vension slider burgers with some venison & egg to hold them together. I had little leftover from the slider burgers, so I cooked up the remainder for tacos the next night, along with some beef since I didnt have enough venison-only for taco Tuesday.

Well.... This sure shows the difference between a good quality Venison and just your standard lean beef. I didnt oil the pan enough, so I even had to add some of the beef to the venison to get a little grease action.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Saw this on reddit not long ago. I've never had any fat added to my ground venison, most of it goes into chili or tacos anyway, so there's no sense in paying extra for fat that gets drained off. Pure ground venison burgers will stick together fine without the egg, provided they're cooked on the stove and you are delicate when flipping them. Grilling is probably a different story.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SoloCamper
Saw this on reddit not long ago. I've never had any fat added to my ground venison, most of it goes into chili or tacos anyway, so there's no sense in paying extra for fat that gets drained off. Pure ground venison burgers will stick together fine without the egg, provided they're cooked on the stove and you are delicate when flipping them. Grilling is probably a different story.
I found that the less I "mix up" the venison before putting in the burger press, the better it stays together. I only add egg (and usually not the full egg when its my wife & I) if I'm in the grill, or if I'm mixing burger seasoning into the meat, and working the meat before making patties.

I agree on the fat... like the video shows, I only added a little lean beef into the venison pile just to get a little more grease to keep it from sticking. I didnt put enough coconut oil or grease on the pan for the lean venison. lol
Old 01-08-2016, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I don't add any thing to spoil my pure venison burger and still grill burgers too. I just lay a flat cast iron griddle on the rack.

You still get the smoky flavor just not the grill marks.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 01-08-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper

You still get the smoky flavor just not the grill marks.

Al
My LODGE brand griddle has the grates on one side, smooth on the other. It's the 2-place stove top griddle. I love it.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you TSR6 the beef is full of fat, look at it in your vid. I generally don't add nothing to my ground venison once in a while maybe 10% pork meat tops. To get my pure venison to stick together on the grill i add an egg and a bit of oatmeal.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up eating venison in the form of mulies and elk. I can't even remember the last time I bought any beef in the store. When I grind my venison I don't add anything to it. I've always liked the taste of venison and frankly if I wanted to consume beef fat I'd buy beef. The only exception to my policy above is if I'm making sausage. For that you need a little extra fat so I add chunks of pork while I'm running it through the grinder, but I use it sparingly, maybe a pound and a half of pork to 12 pounds of venison.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gjersy
I hear you TSR6 the beef is full of fat, look at it in your vid. I generally don't add nothing to my ground venison once in a while maybe 10% pork meat tops. To get my pure venison to stick together on the grill i add an egg and a bit of oatmeal.
I just use a little bit of egg. Usually 1 egg for 3-4 burgers worth of meat is enough. It still stays a little crumbly when you eat it, but doesnt fall apart on the grill.

Originally Posted by Fishoutdoors2016
Venison any day for my family. We eat ground venison throughout the year.
I wish I had that much venison. Stocks are getting low. lol
Old 01-26-2016, 04:24 AM
Banned

I like venison ok and eat a lot of it but I prefer a good beef steak any day
Old 01-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep kidoggy, i definitely love going out for Saturday night prime rib, and the occasional Whopper Wednesday gut bombs. But for me and the Fam Venison is #1. Sorry about your low venison stocks TSR6 Have you ever tried canning venison? I get an extra deer now and then and can a bunch in the pressure cooker, it keeps for a long time, and can help on lean years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.