Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking to buy a new gun.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

^^^^
Old 12-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
^^^^
yeah, this makes how many hundred of these threads that have came up over the years, after taking well over 100 deer with a 223 the main thing you find out is 99.5% of the folks saying they don't work have never shot a deer with one
RR
Old 12-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nobody here has said they won't work. What has been stated by everyone but muzzlestuffer prior to Jake's popcorn picture is that there are a lot better calibers out there that will do the job much better, especially from all angles even if they hit bone, which cannot be said about the .223. Hopefully that's it for this thread and if the one naysayer would read all the articles out there he will find that very few say anything different than what all of us have stated on this thread---get something bigger, as RR is apparently the only .223 expert on this site that uses one regularly for deer!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-24-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Nobody here has said they won't work. What has been stated by everyone but muzzlestuffer prior to Jake's popcorn picture is that there are a lot better calibers out there that will do the job much better, especially from all angles even if they hit bone, which cannot be said about the .223. Hopefully that's it for this thread and if the one naysayer would read all the articles out there he will find that very few say anything different than what all of us have stated on this thread---get something bigger, as RR is apparently the only .223 expert on this site that uses one regularly for deer!
well its not it for this thread, yep there are better cartridges out there, but for those who can shoot, and have a bit of discipline they do an adequate job.I don't know if I'm an expert but I've taken a lot of deer with them, it is my choice for thinning the heard. just how much deader do you want deer than one killed with a 64 gr bonded bullet? if they are that bad why do so many states allow them for deer hunting?
RR
Old 12-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, have you personally used a .223 on a deer or an animal comparable? Or just read articles online about them?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
So, have you personally used a .223 on a deer or an animal comparable? Or just read articles online about them?
Would you consider a human being comparable to a deer since the M16 was in use back in the military when I was in the service in the 60s during Nam? IMHO there is really no sense getting into this any further, as we've all stated the caliber will kill, but is not the best option for deer sized game with everything else that's available out there and leave it at that. Why would any of us that have been around for decades, probably shoot more and better than the average person out there, and knows ballistics and what should be used for a quick, humane kill want to use a small caliber that was not really designed for deer? This is my last post on the thread because everything that needs saying by myself and everyone else has been said more than once.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would you consider a human being comparable to a deer since the M16 was in use back in the military when I was in the service in the 60s during Nam? IMHO there is really no sense getting into this any further, as we've all stated the caliber will kill, but is not the best option for deer sized game with everything else that's available out there and leave it at that. Why would any of us that have been around for decades, probably shoot more and better than the average person out there, and knows ballistics and what should be used for a quick, humane kill want to use a small caliber that was not really designed for deer? This is my last post on the thread because everything that needs saying by myself and everyone else has been said more than once.
so shooting people with FMJ ammo makes you an authority on using the 223 with the proper ammo on deer? yep been around for decades, knows more'n anybody else, yes siree.
RR
Old 12-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
so shooting people with FMJ ammo makes you an authority on using the 223 with the proper ammo on deer? yep been around for decades, knows more'n anybody else, yes siree.
RR
I made no such comment that I ever even used an M16, or that I know more than anybody else! So please stop the personal attacks like that last comment like you're prone to do when you post concerning myself! FYI my company, in fact, was the last to use the M14 before the pipsqueek M16 was introduced into combat use in Nam. As always, you have singled me out on this thread when all but one other member has stated exactly what I have about the .223, so again I would ask that we move on before a MOD steps in because nothing more is going to be gained by continuing this thread!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, no you haven't. You could've just said that. I don't care that the M16 was in service back when you were in Nam, you never used one so it doesn't matter.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm understanding correctly, many are recommending using a marginal cartridge for Deer? In some states less than 5000 Deer were taken this last season. I have no idea how many tags were issued, but it seems probable a whole lot of hunters went home without a Deer. After figuring in the man hours and the restriction against using a .223 in about 13-14 states, some people think buying a rifle for Deer in this cartridge is a good idea?

Whatever toots your whistle.

I've been using the .222 since around the mid sixties. I've never shot a full sized Deer with one. I have shot a couple of Dozen yearlings and I don't know how many varmints.

I've shot maybe a 100,000 rounds out of an M-16. Where I worked we got free ammo. Taking one out to shoot a full sized Deer never crossed my mind.

Can you use a .223 on a full sized Deer? Sure. Should you use a .223 on a full sized Deer, IMO no. Simple reason, after spending many hours looking for that Deer, I want it DRT when I shoot. Sure you can use a tack hammer to drive a nail, not my first choice.

I've shot many mini 14's, unless they have been greatly improved, the accuracy is marginal.

I recently shot a Steyr Scout. 308, clover leafed at a hundred yards. 6X42 leopold scope. Reasonably light, compact, built in bi pod. Hard to find a better trigger or accuracy in a carbine type rifle IMO.

Personally I'd buy the best rifle I could afford and keep it for the rest of your life. A .223 wouldn't be my first choice.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-24-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.