Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question

Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default question

hey all - i am from N.Y. moved here a little over a yr. ago - been fishin like CRAZY - next yr. i want to go deer hunting - last week i went to ED`S GUN SHOP IN VASS NC - bought a remington 770 30-06 very nice gun i know not the best but for a 1st timer it`s great - at 100 yds. i have all the shots ON THE BULLSEYE - my question is i heard with this rifle i have to be 10 ft. off the ground to use it - it`s o.k. if you use a bow or blk. powder - this is NORTH CAROLINA - can some one help me out
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

The NC game department can help you out.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where did you hear of this 10 foot above the ground law? I looked through the entire NC Hunting Regulations booklet online and didn't find any such thing. That 770 you bought is really considered a beginners rifle and based on many comments from people that bought or still have one it will not hold up to much use without various parts breaking or wearing out because of how cheaply it is made. It should do you fine for a year or two, but if you stay with hunting I'd be looking to upgrade to a better firearm.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no restriction to having to be in a tree stand or elevated 10 feet during rifle season. Whoever told you that is pulling your leg (to put it nicely). Here is NC's big game regulations and such. http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...er-Seasons.pdf I would suggest you go to NC's hunting digest page and read the whole thing. I believe you will also need to take a hunters safety course in NC before you can get a license but I am not positive of that. BUT I recommend ALL new hunters take that course whether the state demands it or not.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some counties or other local governmental units may have a restriction in the form of a local ordinance that restricts hunting methods. The 10 foot regulation may be silly but it does exist in some places. There are 10 foot above ground ordinances in some areas, but this is not a statewide regulation.

Search for ordinances in the areas that you intend to hunt, ask at the local sporting goods store, or phone the local warden for clarification. Asking for law clarification on an internet forum can quite obviously result in big problems due to misinformation.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't think about special regulations areas Uncle. Thanks for reminding me. As far as I can remember, Virginia is the only one that has some city/district ordinances allowing for slug hunters ONLY if elevated 10 feet or above. I guess they think since you are elevated that the trajectory of the shot will be limited more in range since you will be aiming more downward. Probably other states/districts have that same misconception of safety. You would think if NC had any districts that had that regulation it would at least be mentioned in the Digest to look up.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

it goes bang when you pull the trigger, the bullet goes where ya want it to, it will serve you well, its not a thousand round a year rifle but it will get it done.
some folks look at a rifle as a piece of art, some look at it as a tool, it will kill deer, that's the objective, you'll do fine with it.
just look into the regulations, make sure your legal and enjoy.
RR
Old 12-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Spike

Default question

yea i know it`s not the best rifle but if all goes well and i like deer hunting i`ll go to a 700 - bein a VIETNAM VET ya think i`d know all about these guns but i only handled a machine gun so i`m learning all these calibers - some one said cause i am a vet and i went and got my conceel carry license maybe i won`t have to go to that saftey class - who know`s if i gotta go i`ll go - but for now that 770 shoot`s GREAT - the bolt`s a little sloppy but i`ll adjust after all it`s 1 bullet at a time
Old 12-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Didn't think about special regulations areas Uncle.......... As far as I can remember, Virginia is the only one that has some city/district ordinances allowing for slug hunters ONLY if elevated 10 feet or above. I guess they think since you are elevated that the trajectory of the shot will be limited more in range since you will be aiming more downward......
Va., though a fairly populated state, still has a large mix of urban and rural areas. For that reason, ordinances do very greatly throughout the state. For slugs, MZ's and rifles.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by standaman
yea i know it`s not the best rifle but if all goes well and i like deer hunting i`ll go to a 700 - bein a VIETNAM VET ya think i`d know all about these guns but i only handled a machine gun so i`m learning all these calibers - some one said cause i am a vet and i went and got my conceel carry license maybe i won`t have to go to that saftey class - who know`s if i gotta go i`ll go - but for now that 770 shoot`s GREAT - the bolt`s a little sloppy but i`ll adjust after all it`s 1 bullet at a time
It shoots and you like the accuracy. Don't let nothing hold you back. You'll get some great memories w/it. Good huntin'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.