Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

60 day effects of the rut.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 60 day effects of the rut.

pre rut

rut

post rut
Old 12-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ehhh,, Not TOO bad a shape but you can tell he ran hard!
Old 12-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks pretty rough to me

I was going to shoot this buck but I'll be damned if he didn't run all over the farm pretty regularly and still manage to elude me.

Last edited by rockport; 12-13-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

He was a big boy and more than likely highly dominant so had a lot of fights. But trust me, I've seen many around here in MUCH worse shape than that live on well. You have some winter plots planted over there don't you? He will be fine as long as he has some good food for recovery. It's the ones that don't have good food to aid in recovery that die off.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
He was a big boy and more than likely highly dominant so had a lot of fights. But trust me, I've seen many around here in MUCH worse shape than that live on well. You have some winter plots planted over there don't you? He will be fine as long as he has some good food for recovery. It's the ones that don't have good food to aid in recovery that die off.
Yeah he was the dominant buck, He is still pretty grumpy. Ive passed him a couple times in the past and found his shed and he really has not grown any extra antler for a couple years now

No I don't really have any room for plots on that farm. The farmer no tills and its such good farm ground he won't give me an inch.

The no till helps though and there were so many acorns this year a lot are still there.

We have a soybean plot on another property and they are just destroying it right now.

I have this guy among others rebounding there. Had the ML cross hairs on him yesterday evening but didn't squeeze

Hoping we get a little snow cover in January and I can get an Arrow a big boy in the standing beans.

Last edited by rockport; 12-13-2015 at 08:09 PM.