Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need new sling

Old 12-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need new sling

Any recommendations for a hunting sling. Something padded that won't slip off my shoulder. Maybe something that can hold a few rounds.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Doubt I can name any specifics, the market is flooded with slings. But after 3+ decades of chasing big game & with 15 big game rifles in my safes, I can suggest a few items/considerations to look for.

1). Stay away from the Walmart elcheapos that have plastic hardware on them! Look for quality slings with all metal hardware, today's cheap Chinese plastic won't hold up, especially in tough freezing conditions. Cheap frozen plastic will snap & your gun will take a tumble.

2). I tried a sling with ammo loops & found that the weight of a few rounds will cause the sling to swing & pull the gun around when shouldered & fired freehand. Works ok as a place to store rounds when the gun isn't used/unloaded but I wouldn't keep "a few extra rounds" in it while hunting.

3). If you are looking at neoprene slings then DO NOT buy the type that aren't backed/reinforced by a nylon belt/web. Neoprene itself is a very weak material & I've seen them break, especially after they get a small knick or cut in one spot. Once the weight of your gun stretches that neoprene it will simply continue to split/tear in that spot!

The better/higher end models from Uncle Mike usually get my $$$
Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

These served me well for years.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/quake...w+rifle+slings

................ But I switched from the "claw" to these now.

http://store.specialtyoutdoorproducts.net/

These are NOT fancy- but work great, also indestructible & impervious to weather !!!

After all, it's for hunting.......................

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-07-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Spike

I got a free tikka sling when I purchased my T3 a few years back.

I have since convinced 3 of my family members to get one, all leather and metal, nice picture of a deer, elk or moose on them, inch and a half of padded leather for the shoulder and a thumb loop to hold it. My dad has it on a T3 .300 win mag with a bull barrel the gun weighs a little over ten pounds loaded and he has no complaints.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Quake Claw Sling
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC
Quake Claw Sling
This. Doesn't hold ammo that I'm aware of but it never slips.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buy hand made leather slings on ebay.

Great quality without the price that comes with bigger names.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

For years I liked the plain 1" leather slings and they have stood up well for many a year. I was only having to walk a couple hundred yards to a stand so they worked fine. Then I started hunting an area where I was walking from a 1/2 mile to 3 miles to a stand and that 1" leather would start digging in to the shoulder. Bought a Butler Creek Neoprene sling with the bubbles on the back side. It is a real nice sling and has held up well for 22 years. I have a Allen name brand Neoprene with shell holders on my slug gun, Never carry extra slugs in the loops, If I think I need more ammo than the rifle holds it is carried in a pocket and if sharp pointy bullets I do a wrap in a paper towel.

My binoc straps is also a butler creek neoprene strap/harness.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 12-31-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always been a fan of a simple one inch military style leather sling. You can adjust it any way you want. But you can't put any rounds on it.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I like Uncle Mike products. Well built and light in weight.