HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need new sling
Thread: Need new sling
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 06:07 AM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Doubt I can name any specifics, the market is flooded with slings. But after 3+ decades of chasing big game & with 15 big game rifles in my safes, I can suggest a few items/considerations to look for.

1). Stay away from the Walmart elcheapos that have plastic hardware on them! Look for quality slings with all metal hardware, today's cheap Chinese plastic won't hold up, especially in tough freezing conditions. Cheap frozen plastic will snap & your gun will take a tumble.

2). I tried a sling with ammo loops & found that the weight of a few rounds will cause the sling to swing & pull the gun around when shouldered & fired freehand. Works ok as a place to store rounds when the gun isn't used/unloaded but I wouldn't keep "a few extra rounds" in it while hunting.

3). If you are looking at neoprene slings then DO NOT buy the type that aren't backed/reinforced by a nylon belt/web. Neoprene itself is a very weak material & I've seen them break, especially after they get a small knick or cut in one spot. Once the weight of your gun stretches that neoprene it will simply continue to split/tear in that spot!

The better/higher end models from Uncle Mike usually get my $$$