Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What scope power do you use

Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rockport
I hear that a lot but Scopes are not more shaky at higher power. They just show you how shaky you are at higher power. Turning it down won't fix that.
You are correct. That's why I put "shakier" in quote marks. I will say that offhand I shoot better on a lower power setting. Off a rest, if I have time, I'll crank it up.
-Jake
Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Its not "just me really" its reality.

Like I said in my first response people are different and like I also said I hunt at 3.5 myself for FOV reasons. At larger game hunting ranges for me 3.5 is plenty of magnification and I still have a good FOV and can find the animal in the scope quickly.

I'm just telling you the reality of it is turning your scope down does not reduce movement it simply makes details less noticeable.
Well, I'm telling you, and a bunch of other people are telling you as well.... that the reality of it is that plenty of us shoot better with less magnification in many situations...

IMO If we shoot better than it cant be just that we aren't noticing the shakes, not saying that high magnification itself necessarily causing more shakes, it is the shooter's reaction to those shakes being more noticable that causes this effect IMO...
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
You are correct. That's why I put "shakier" in quote marks. I will say that offhand I shoot better on a lower power setting. Off a rest, if I have time, I'll crank it up.
-Jake

I shoot pretty much the same at high and low power. I usually only crank mine up on targets to dial in more precisely. I prefer the wider FOV when hunting deer.

Like I said I rarely touch the dial in a deer hunting situation.

I will turn up with Yotes and such and the distance where I need to turn it up is also about the distance where I start needing a rest although I will use a rest anytime I have the option.

Are you sure you shoot better at lower power or do you just shoot better at distances that call for lower power? I know that is the case for me. I shoot better at lower power because the shots I take at lower power are a lot easier.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
-Jake
And this right here is why I tried going to the fixed 4, and one of the things I liked about it. How many times have you cranked the scope for a 100 yard shot just because you could, I know I used to do it all the time. Once in awhile wasting time playing with my scope for no reason would result in me needing to take a crappyer shot, and even when it didn't I got to wondering why I would waste time fiddling with the scope in those clutch moments. The 4x cured that out of me, pretty good and I no longer am afflicted with the habit of dinking around with my scope when I don't need to be.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Exophysical
Well, I'm telling you, and a bunch of other people are telling you as well.... that the reality of it is that plenty of us shoot better with less magnification in many situations...

IMO If we shoot better than it cant be just that we aren't noticing the shakes, not saying that high magnification itself necessarily causing more shakes, it is the shooter's reaction to those shakes being more noticable that causes this effect IMO...
I can't attest to whether or not you make more human errors according to your scopes magnification...I wouldn't know if that is the case or not.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bottom line is if you can't hold it on at a higher power the target is out of your range. That is what the magnification is showing you.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Exophysical
And this right here is why I tried going to the fixed 4, and one of the things I liked about it. How many times have you cranked the scope for a 100 yard shot just because you could, I know I used to do it all the time. Once in awhile wasting time playing with my scope for no reason would result in me needing to take a crappyer shot, and even when it didn't I got to wondering why I would waste time fiddling with the scope in those clutch moments. The 4x cured that out of me, pretty good and I no longer am afflicted with the habit of dinking around with my scope when I don't need to be.
That will cure you or using aperture sights at 100 yards on game. Then a 3X or 4X scope with crosshairs is heaven to you. I cannot stand anything over 10X until I get past 300 yards.

Like someone said scope magnification doesn't increase or decrease body induced wobble. Think about this.......why does that shot on 16X take longer than the one on 4X? You are stopping what movement you can and manipulating the rest of the movement to make a more precise accurate shot. Shots on low power are faster more instinctive shots because you don't have to visually or mentally address the issue. With good shoting form one can shoot accurate enough compared to high power at reasonable ranges and only dials up in order get the proper sight picture.

That said do whatever you want. What I described is not necessary to good shooting or a must to everyone. It just makes things simpler for shooting away from the bench.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I'm going through the same dilemma. I hunt out west, and back east, so I am into high mag scopes, with big objectives.

I still haven't decided.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Spike

4x for all situations until a possible longer shot is posible. If I'm hunting open areas, 6x. Never really needed more than 6x. If a planned, unhurried, long poke is in order, there is normally time to dial up the power, but more than 6x is rarely needed.