HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What scope power do you use
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 AM
d80hunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Exophysical
And this right here is why I tried going to the fixed 4, and one of the things I liked about it. How many times have you cranked the scope for a 100 yard shot just because you could, I know I used to do it all the time. Once in awhile wasting time playing with my scope for no reason would result in me needing to take a crappyer shot, and even when it didn't I got to wondering why I would waste time fiddling with the scope in those clutch moments. The 4x cured that out of me, pretty good and I no longer am afflicted with the habit of dinking around with my scope when I don't need to be.
That will cure you or using aperture sights at 100 yards on game. Then a 3X or 4X scope with crosshairs is heaven to you. I cannot stand anything over 10X until I get past 300 yards.

Like someone said scope magnification doesn't increase or decrease body induced wobble. Think about this.......why does that shot on 16X take longer than the one on 4X? You are stopping what movement you can and manipulating the rest of the movement to make a more precise accurate shot. Shots on low power are faster more instinctive shots because you don't have to visually or mentally address the issue. With good shoting form one can shoot accurate enough compared to high power at reasonable ranges and only dials up in order get the proper sight picture.

That said do whatever you want. What I described is not necessary to good shooting or a must to everyone. It just makes things simpler for shooting away from the bench.