Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question for all members

Old 11-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid

907 yards...270 Wby, 150gr ABLR, Defiance action, Benchmark barrel, McMillan Hunter, Jewell trigger, Huskemaw scope, ONE SHOT...not a cent of taxpayer money spent on it.

I guess we aren't hunters tho, only shooters. I guess the other deer we got under 200 yards would mean we are hunters?
No, you shot it, killed it, and ate it right? That makes you a hunter and it is asinine to deny that.

7 yards with an arrow. I believe hunting this deer was much more challenging but I believe shooting your deer was much more challenging do you agree or disagree?

I would never argue you were not a hunter(I'm not sure if you were addressing my comment or not) but its not rocket science.....Its more challenging to hunt deer at 7 yards with a bow and more challenging to shoot a deer at 900 yards with a rifle.

Both ways are hunting and both present their own challenges and commitment.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid

907 yards...270 Wby, 150gr ABLR, Defiance action, Benchmark barrel, McMillan Hunter, Jewell trigger, Huskemaw scope, ONE SHOT...not a cent of taxpayer money spent on it.

I guess we aren't hunters tho, only shooters. I guess the other deer we got under 200 yards would mean we are hunters?
In all actuality Jeep, yep! Picking off long range targets is shooting. Getting to reasonable ranges requires HUNTING skills. That isn't meant as a disparaging statement Jeep, just actual definition of the words. BTW, nice buck and nice shot!

When RR is doing his deer control, he isn't hunting, he already knows where those deer are showing up and he chooses to set up long range rather than getting in close and taking any chances of them winding him or anything so he can eliminate a deer or 2 for the farmers. YOU chose to pick off that buck at long range rather than attempting to get close and run the risk that your "hunting" skills weren't up to snuff. That's actually my own thought processes when I choose to take a shot out to 350-400 yards. I could probably get closer, but if that buck or doe is looking a bit skiddish and I want that particular animal, be it Elk or Whitetail, then I may choose to take the longer shot. Could be the wind is shifty that day or, as I previously mentioned, it was already skiddish.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
No, you shot it, killed it, and ate it right? That makes you a hunter and it is asinine to deny that.

7 yards with an arrow. I believe hunting this deer was much more challenging but I believe shooting your deer was much more challenging do you agree or disagree?

I would never argue you were not a hunter(I'm not sure if you were addressing my comment or not) but its not rocket science.....Its more challenging to hunt deer at 7 yards with a bow and more challenging to shoot a deer at 900 yards with a rifle.

Both ways are hunting and both present their own challenges and commitment.
I wasn't directing it towards you.

That's a nice buck. Ironically the first deer I shot with a bow was the first deer I lost. I haven't hunted with a bow since.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awww Jeep, you should have stuck with it. BowHunting is the absolute best thrill ride in the hunting world! Except for Really early archery seasons in places like Louisiana and Pa where the damn skeeters and such should be filing flight plans with the FAA! BUT, just like long range shooting, archery DEMANDS lots of practice to become proficient in delivering a clean and quick kill.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do think people greatly underestimate just how hard it is to shoot 900 yards with consistent accuracy.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I can get close to deer but to kill one at 800 yds would be way more than I could accomplish. I admit I am a hunter not a shooter. A 100-200 yd shot isn't a problem for me. Anything beyond that range would require me to develop some added expertise. I just never needed to develop that skill set and have no experience with it. My average rifle/ ML shot has been less than 75 yds over 55 years of hunting. I have many bow kills and all were within 35 yds with most being around 20. Even my late in life fascination with western hunting has taken all my elk at under 125 yds. Kudos to those who explore new horizons.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by redgreen
"Come out to the prairies and hunt the stubble, and then judge, or better yet, stay in your little world and be happy.
For Heaven's sake! What do you think Kansas looks like, son? That's a serious question.

Bronc
Old 11-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Awww Jeep, you should have stuck with it. BowHunting is the absolute best thrill ride in the hunting world! Except for Really early archery seasons in places like Louisiana and Pa where the damn skeeters and such should be filing flight plans with the FAA! BUT, just like long range shooting, archery DEMANDS lots of practice to become proficient in delivering a clean and quick kill.
Yeah my buddies keep trying to talk me into it but I'm the type that goes "all in" when I do something and I won't have time to become great with a bow AND stay proficient with a rifle. Dang full time job and kids get in the way of all the fun stuff!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
That's a valid question regardless of the weapon or distance! Stay within your skill set!
Here is the problem with that truism. At long range, regardless of the conditions, you never know that you're outside your skill set until you blow the leg off a deer or gut shoot one. That's when it dawns on you, only then.

And this scenario doesn't apply exclusively to long and very long ranges. In lots of situations, in field conditions, experts can be far beyond their shooting ability at 75-yards. That's why we have to think, act and shoot ethically. The risk of harm is too great not to do otherwise.

Which brings us full circle. Game animals are not targets that exist for our shooting amusement. If you enjoy shooting at extreme range use clay plates as targets.

Bronc
Old 11-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok Bronc you made your point. It is certainly your opinion and you made it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.