HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question for all members
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 01:51 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid

907 yards...270 Wby, 150gr ABLR, Defiance action, Benchmark barrel, McMillan Hunter, Jewell trigger, Huskemaw scope, ONE SHOT...not a cent of taxpayer money spent on it.

I guess we aren't hunters tho, only shooters. I guess the other deer we got under 200 yards would mean we are hunters?
In all actuality Jeep, yep! Picking off long range targets is shooting. Getting to reasonable ranges requires HUNTING skills. That isn't meant as a disparaging statement Jeep, just actual definition of the words. BTW, nice buck and nice shot!

When RR is doing his deer control, he isn't hunting, he already knows where those deer are showing up and he chooses to set up long range rather than getting in close and taking any chances of them winding him or anything so he can eliminate a deer or 2 for the farmers. YOU chose to pick off that buck at long range rather than attempting to get close and run the risk that your "hunting" skills weren't up to snuff. That's actually my own thought processes when I choose to take a shot out to 350-400 yards. I could probably get closer, but if that buck or doe is looking a bit skiddish and I want that particular animal, be it Elk or Whitetail, then I may choose to take the longer shot. Could be the wind is shifty that day or, as I previously mentioned, it was already skiddish.