Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting from canoe?

Old 11-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Spike

Default Deer hunting from canoe?

Does anyone know if it is legal to shoot deer from a canoe in Minnesota? Any help would be appreciatef
Old 11-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gavinlobland
Does anyone know if it is legal to shoot deer from a canoe in Minnesota? Any help would be appreciatef
Good question.

I carry a riffle when fishing and if I see game then I take aim, but not from a canoe.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gavinlobland

There is NO way I would shoot a rifle out of a canoe.
I have seen what happens when you do.
Lets just say your gunpowder will get wet, lol
A flat bottom John boat yes, But Not A Canoe.
I hate getting dunked.
In N.C. you can hunt from a boat as long as you paddle the boat, and not run the motor.
NEVER EVER SHOOT A GUN IN A CANOE.
You will loose all your hunting stuff.

JMHO
Old 11-14-2015, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

To know the hunting rules in your state just go to your states wild life (dept. Natural resources in Michigan DNR) depts. web site.

How many of ya'll have really hunted and shot from a canoe, Really.
In my younger years that is one of the best ways to hunt Moose in ONT. Paddle slowly around the lake calling then when you got answers to your call sit still and wait. Ain't like you have a cannon on board.
If your really inept you can put a out rigger on your canoe too.

Al
Old 11-14-2015, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know guys who duck hunt out of a canoe, I wouldn't do it but they come home dry.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've floated for ducks in a canoe, killed a lot of squirrels that way too.
A lot of fun.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I believe I would elect to keep the shot within a 30 deg cone from the front of the canoe. It's the 90 deg shot that would seem dicey.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man you folks seem to think he is using some sort of shoulder mounted cannon or something. Canoes aren't THAT unstable sheesh! I've float hunted a lot over the years and never tipped from taking a shot. I'm sure the fella isn't planning on STANDING and shooting from a canoe!

OP, I scanned the whole digest for Minnesota online and couldn't find anything about shooting from a boat. Closest thing was shooting for OHV's such as 4 wheelers and such which is not allowed without a disability permit.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Spike

No. I know somebody that was hunting in the white mountians in Az and they shot from a truck. They fell out of the truck and died. I imagine if a freak accident like that happened in a canoe it would be a lot worse.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
killed a lot of squirrels that way too.
A lot of fun.
That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. These guys were using motorboats, but it's the same idea. http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...achicola-river

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.