Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wounded deer questions.....

Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well - No word from Whino 83 does not bode well. Hope he had luck and found it.

Last edited by Mojotex; 11-10-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Well I'd have to say you guys are spot on from my experience this morning. Ha. Shot a nanny about 100 yards away with a 4570 quartering in to me from her bedding area. Put the cross hairs on her & fired. I knew I hit her, but the shot looked high so I waited about an hour and a half in the stand. Got down to go look for blood and there was none on the ground, not even speckles. I went the direction she ran & there she was, maybe 10 to 15 yards from where I shot her. It was a definite gut shot. Couldn't believe she didn't run further than that!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Well - No word from Whino 83 does not bode well. HBope he had luck and found it.
He may now be Whino84....
Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hope he found it, also hope he comes back to update us.
-Jake
Old 11-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Spike

Sorry for the delay guys. I've been out of town working. I went back the next morning and went to the last spot the dee stood and found more heavy (dark) blood and then.....nothing......no blood at all! I zig zagged the side of the ridge I knew he walked down and picked up the trail again but it stopped again. I back tracked and used toilet paper and marked the trail and go a bearing on the direction he was heading. That's when I could notice the leaves ever so slightly were flipped over and I found his path. I followed it slowly and sure enough I found him piled up about 100 yards from where I last saw him the night before! I was And still am very excited. I've taken bigger bucks for sure but he's the biggest I've taken with a traditional muzzleloader with a patched round ball! I'd post pics if I knew how to using my cell phone
Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrats on the buck and kudos to doing what it took to find him. My experience with liver hits follows what happened. Lots of dark blood then nothing. Dead deer but finding them can be tough.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Whino83
Sorry for the delay guys. I've been out of town working. I went back the next morning and went to the last spot the dee stood and found more heavy (dark) blood and then.....nothing......no blood at all! I zig zagged the side of the ridge I knew he walked down and picked up the trail again but it stopped again. I back tracked and used toilet paper and marked the trail and go a bearing on the direction he was heading. That's when I could notice the leaves ever so slightly were flipped over and I found his path. I followed it slowly and sure enough I found him piled up about 100 yards from where I last saw him the night before! I was And still am very excited. I've taken bigger bucks for sure but he's the biggest I've taken with a traditional muzzleloader with a patched round ball! I'd post pics if I knew how to using my cell phone
Glad you found him. Would you mind sharing were you hit him so guys can learn more about shot placement, color of blood and bleeding charcteristics.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's great that you found him and got back to us about the recovery!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Good deal. Glad your persistence paid off.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Glad you persisted and found him, also glad you reported back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.