Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting App

Old 10-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Spike

Default Hunting App

Has anyone tried the SmarterHunter app? I have used a few others but this appears to have more functionality, specifically the safety features. there is a SmarterHunter website and facebook page for more information
Old 10-29-2015, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at the Facebook page and looked at some pictures of this app. Then I browsed over it on the Google Playstore. I not exactly getting why safety is such an advertisement on a hunting app that lets you tag locations with icons. When I was a younger hunter I would draw maps of places I hunted and mark deer sightings and paths along with places l would set up. With computers that show satellite views that concept is understandable on a smartphone.

However the fact it is advertised as a safety app to be used on a fragile device that runs on batteries that cannot get wet or survive much abuse kind of makes me laugh. I once owned a marine grade GPS with a built in 3-way radio to use on hunts. The batteries in it leaked and it would never work afterwards. I was attempting to backtrack a 3 mile hike in the dark to a place I found earlier that spring from another starting point. That is when I realized it was a useless brick. I had to wait for light to find the location and navigate with a compass. I really don't want to put my life on electronics after seeing what can happen with them.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting app! Is that what we have reduced hunting to, an app on an electronic devise! How about we learn orientating skills so we can navigate in the woods without some battery operated device? The battery doesn't go dead in our brains but if all you have to navigate in the woods to find your way in and out is some stupid app, sooner or later you will regret you didn't learn outdoor skills instead of depending on a device. It would appear this is the age where we surrender our learned skills to some damn machine!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

LOL ...OT you are truly from my generation. Nice to see others who think like I do. My most cherished hunting "app" is my silva hanging around my neck. No batteries and backed up by a second unit in my pack.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

I use a hunting app all the time. I use the Trimble GPS HuntPro but I also can work a map, shoot an azimuth, explain contour lines, etc. I use an app because one it is way faster. Instead of focusing on the map I can focus on the hunt, two a lot of the hunting apps have weather, moon phases, sun rise and sunset etc. Three when I shoot an animal and find blood I can mark it on the app and see which direction the animal is going (general direction) if I happen to run out of blood. I still carry a map as a back up.
Attached Thumbnails Hunting App-2015-10-29_17-27-01.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Hunting app! Is that what we have reduced hunting to, an app on an electronic devise! How about we learn orientating skills so we can navigate in the woods without some battery operated device? The battery doesn't go dead in our brains but if all you have to navigate in the woods to find your way in and out is some stupid app, sooner or later you will regret you didn't learn outdoor skills instead of depending on a device. It would appear this is the age where we surrender our learned skills to some damn machine!
Hell skills aren't taught in school anyways. Anything to deal with the outdoors, map reading, starting a fire, nothing. Hardly any schools teach finance classes, time management, home repair, general auto repair (oil change, breaks), credit, how to find a job, or really anything useful in life. I didn't learn my map reading until I joined the Army at 18. Didn't learn anything about money management or credit until I worked at a financial institution.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

So what is your point? If you want to learn skills you find someone to teach you. School isn't the place to learn outdoor skills, where did you get the idea they were. Did you ever hear of rugged individualism? It is what made America great. I learned how to use a compass in the boy scouts and I expanded my knowledge as I got older. Learning outdoor skills is your own responsibility. I had a GPS on my boat but I before I had one, I learned how to use a nautical chart and to run a course with a compass, those skills don't need batteries or an owners manual. You must be part of the generation that wants everything delivered to you on a silver platter. Your post is one of the lamest thing I have read in a long time.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC
Hell skills aren't taught in school anyways. Anything to deal with the outdoors, map reading,
I teach NJROTC in high school and we have an orienteering team. So we do land navigation, map reading and compass skills. We also have a marksmanship team and we shoot air rifles competitively. Schools still teach stuff like that but you have to get in the right program.

As to the "app". I don't have a smart phone, I don't need a smart phone and I don't want a smart phone. So, NO I haven't used it.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC
I use a hunting app all the time. I use the Trimble GPS HuntPro but I also can work a map, shoot an azimuth, explain contour lines, etc. I use an app because one it is way faster. Instead of focusing on the map I can focus on the hunt, two a lot of the hunting apps have weather, moon phases, sun rise and sunset etc. Three when I shoot an animal and find blood I can mark it on the app and see which direction the animal is going (general direction) if I happen to run out of blood. I still carry a map as a back up.
That's what I have always used toilet paper for. I wonder how handy that app would be if I have to take a dump?! <laffin>
Old 10-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
So what is your point? If you want to learn skills you find someone to teach you. School isn't the place to learn outdoor skills, where did you get the idea they were. Did you ever hear of rugged individualism? It is what made America great. I learned how to use a compass in the boy scouts and I expanded my knowledge as I got older. Learning outdoor skills is your own responsibility. I had a GPS on my boat but I before I had one, I learned how to use a nautical chart and to run a course with a compass, those skills don't need batteries or an owners manual. You must be part of the generation that wants everything delivered to you on a silver platter. Your post is one of the lamest thing I have read in a long time.
I guess you could say that idea was part put in my head when I lived in Colorado 4th grade I was able to take a 270 to school and teach the class mates how to clean it that was in 2002 (under certain circumstance, dad took me and picked me up) or how in Alabama we had archery in PE. But out of all the schools I have gone to those were the only two to offer such programs besides NJRTOC. Apparently you didn't read my post correctly. I wasn't being a dick to you I was agreeing what you were saying. Yeah this generation is geared toward the machine. That is why I provided examples like finances, general home repair and car repair etc, stuff that was done before a machine. Yeah you can say I want everything delivered to me on a silver platter when I work 50 hours a week, 12 credit hours a semester for college, and also part time military. Yeah you can say that..... What I was explaining in my post before you went off in your dick head post was a lot of general knowledgeable skills are not taught in school or offered. Finance classes, credit, nothing like that. Mainly it is state wide tests that the school focuses on and of course common core to make every kid equal. Besides NJROTC, a lot of school do not offer what gets you ready for society or could help you once you leave to go to society.
Originally Posted by flags
I teach NJROTC in high school and we have an orienteering team. So we do land navigation, map reading and compass skills. We also have a marksmanship team and we shoot air rifles competitively. Schools still teach stuff like that but you have to get in the right program.

As to the "app". I don't have a smart phone, I don't need a smart phone and I don't want a smart phone. So, NO I haven't used it.
I know my school had the same as yours with the NJROTC but any other classes offered to get you ready for society itself not so much. NJROTC didn't ring a bell when I made that statement.

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
That's what I have always used toilet paper for. I wonder how handy that app would be if I have to take a dump?! <laffin>
I still use the toilet paper. Every time I shoot a deer and find blood but when you hunt in deep stuff where you can only see about 10ft in front of you a GPS or an app on your phone comes in handy.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 10-29-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.