HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting App
Thread: Hunting App
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Brandon_SPC
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
So what is your point? If you want to learn skills you find someone to teach you. School isn't the place to learn outdoor skills, where did you get the idea they were. Did you ever hear of rugged individualism? It is what made America great. I learned how to use a compass in the boy scouts and I expanded my knowledge as I got older. Learning outdoor skills is your own responsibility. I had a GPS on my boat but I before I had one, I learned how to use a nautical chart and to run a course with a compass, those skills don't need batteries or an owners manual. You must be part of the generation that wants everything delivered to you on a silver platter. Your post is one of the lamest thing I have read in a long time.
I guess you could say that idea was part put in my head when I lived in Colorado 4th grade I was able to take a 270 to school and teach the class mates how to clean it that was in 2002 (under certain circumstance, dad took me and picked me up) or how in Alabama we had archery in PE. But out of all the schools I have gone to those were the only two to offer such programs besides NJRTOC. Apparently you didn't read my post correctly. I wasn't being a dick to you I was agreeing what you were saying. Yeah this generation is geared toward the machine. That is why I provided examples like finances, general home repair and car repair etc, stuff that was done before a machine. Yeah you can say I want everything delivered to me on a silver platter when I work 50 hours a week, 12 credit hours a semester for college, and also part time military. Yeah you can say that..... What I was explaining in my post before you went off in your dick head post was a lot of general knowledgeable skills are not taught in school or offered. Finance classes, credit, nothing like that. Mainly it is state wide tests that the school focuses on and of course common core to make every kid equal. Besides NJROTC, a lot of school do not offer what gets you ready for society or could help you once you leave to go to society.
Originally Posted by flags
I teach NJROTC in high school and we have an orienteering team. So we do land navigation, map reading and compass skills. We also have a marksmanship team and we shoot air rifles competitively. Schools still teach stuff like that but you have to get in the right program.

As to the "app". I don't have a smart phone, I don't need a smart phone and I don't want a smart phone. So, NO I haven't used it.
I know my school had the same as yours with the NJROTC but any other classes offered to get you ready for society itself not so much. NJROTC didn't ring a bell when I made that statement.

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
That's what I have always used toilet paper for. I wonder how handy that app would be if I have to take a dump?! <laffin>
I still use the toilet paper. Every time I shoot a deer and find blood but when you hunt in deep stuff where you can only see about 10ft in front of you a GPS or an app on your phone comes in handy.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 10-29-2015 at 04:13 PM.