Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rub lines?

Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Spike

Default Rub lines?

I am hunting in Connecticut. I live in RI so i have an out of state bow hunting license, and I have no interest in paying 300$ for a muzzel loader license. So I have about 2 weeks to hunt this rub line before i get cut off for the season. Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Old 10-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a pretty vague question so I'll stick with a vague answer.

1. Either pin the rubs on a map or draw it out on paper. If you have to do it in your mind. 2. Draw a connect the dots to establish a basic travel route for the offender.
3. I would find a spot where some of the rubs are closest together.
4. Hunt the downwind side of the travel route and off his path. I would look for a spot where I would have more than one shooting lane.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Spike

I'm very new to this. This is my first year out and about and actually hunting. I did a lot of scouting last year so that I got accustomed to what the sign looks like. So I am just unsure of what I am doing when it comes to executing. I have about 9 trail cameras on the rub line. It just popped up this week. So I figured I'd give it a shot the next two weeks. So any advice you can give is good advice. Because there are different views. Some say you should hunt the rub line and then others say hunt 50 yards or so off of it. And should i sit all day? Or should I hunt mornings, go home, then hunt till dusk?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Your camera pictures should tell you when to hunt. But if it's rut anything can happen.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Spike

Its Pre Rut. Rut isnt for another 2 weeks here in RI. These r the first rubs ive seen. And ive been scouting about 120 acres of land the last 2 months. do they put rubs on trails that doe usually travel? or is it just his trail?
Old 10-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

A rub, any rub just tells you a buck was there. Might not even be the same buck that made em all. Will they it be back on a regular basis? who knows.
But I can tell you continuously checking your cameras is not going to improve your odds of killing a mature deer.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817
. And should i sit all day? Or should I hunt mornings, go home, then hunt till dusk?
You can't kill a deer from home. Your best chances are to be in the woods. If a spot isn't working, then change something up, but you've got to be in the woods to even have a chance. Good luck
-Jake
Old 10-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I would not worry so much about the rub line. Maybe give it one hunt during rut. I would bounce around and hunt close to bedding, once it gets down to the last few days of October or after nov.1st start hunting pinch points, leeward ricges, etc... But keep moving, if your pounding that rubline with scent hunting and setting/checking cameras every buck worth hunting will smell your scent there and avoid the area in daylight...
Old 10-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817
........I'm very new to this........ And should i sit all day? Or should I hunt mornings, go home, then hunt till dusk?
On public lands I hunt-which is the majority of my hunting-I rule an area out the same way I rule it in. After scouting, I make determinations on the better areas. I will do all day sits to see if the location meets scouting expectations. If nothing comes, I may hunt it the following day or skip a day or two, then come back for another all day sit. The reason for this is that a deer that doesn't show on the first day may routinely return to their pattern on your next ADS. If I don't see a deer on the second sit, I wait a week or so and come back for a third all day sit. The point is, if you've scouted and read sign properly or have seen deer in the area prior, then chances are good you will see the animal during season-doe population depending. If the animal doesn't come after the 3rd all day sit, then I consider the area as non or low probability and spend time elsewhere. The point being, let the area tell you if it's productive or not. Sitting an area for a small portion of a day and constantly moving to other areas, is not a recipe for success from my experience.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 10-24-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some say you should hunt the rub line and then others say hunt 50 yards or so off of it.
Be downwind of it for sure.