Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Testing for Chronic Wasting in Illinois? >

Testing for Chronic Wasting in Illinois?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Testing for Chronic Wasting in Illinois?

Old 08-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

They really hate in when people do not fall in lock step to their "information" . They can show NO case where deer urine scents have contributed to CWD yet they want them all banned in every state.m You can see how nasty they get when someone asks for study. Go look in the regional forums and see how nasty they get qhen questioned but can provide no specific answers to questions asked them. It is just the same old same old talking points. After a while it is not worth reading the repitition.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigTime1
How are your deer numbers if I may ask? CWD shutting you down after all these years its been there? Can't say I have heard of piles of deer being found and tested positive? Guess we can't say that about the real disease that's out there killing WhiteTails! EHD!
Deer numbers where i hunt are still very good. The overall county harvest numbers have been down a little bit, but our group still does very well. Between bow, shotgun, muzzleloader, and the late CWD seasons, i personally take 5-8 deer a year. EHD seems to be a much greater issue, especially back in 2012 and 2013.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

And to follow up on a lot of conversation on various boards here about low numbers, traffic, etc...I've only been on here for two years, and can honestly say that i rarely post questions/comments because i know oldtimer and topgun will be all over anything that is said, to prove how smart they are. For example, any question about what to use for feeding/baiting...i can guarantee they will question if it's legal in your state WHEN THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION. This thread is a classic example of a guy asking a question, and oldtimer and topgun hijacking the post with worthless information/arguing/bickering that benefits NOBODY. I'm waiting for them to ask if i had the proper license and tags to take the 5-8 deer a year i referenced in the post above.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

wooden, EHD is a fast killer and during drought periods it tends to affect regions pretty harshly. The insidious nature of CWD is the long gestational period of the disease as well as the long term affect on the body of the animal. It's a slow killer which makes it extremely hard to pin down in the wild. You'll find a deer here and a deer there that's succumbed to it and an unknown number in close proximity infected that aren't showing signs yet. It can take several years to kill a deer or as little as several months. It seems almost every case is different. Some would have people believe that there has yet to be a death from CWD which in and of itself is stupidity at it's finest. CWD isn't a herd killer YET but as anyone knows, protein based mutations such as the Prion can flip a switch and mutate themselves into something far more fast acting.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by woodenb14
And to follow up on a lot of conversation on various boards here about low numbers, traffic, etc...I've only been on here for two years, and can honestly say that i rarely post questions/comments because i know oldtimer and topgun will be all over anything that is said, to prove how smart they are. For example, any question about what to use for feeding/baiting...i can guarantee they will question if it's legal in your state WHEN THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION. This thread is a classic example of a guy asking a question, and oldtimer and topgun hijacking the post with worthless information/arguing/bickering that benefits NOBODY. I'm waiting for them to ask if i had the proper license and tags to take the 5-8 deer a year i referenced in the post above.
I'll not share what Topgun PM'd me. But I will say it has been tried by more than a few, some even succeeded, but none have ever come back for seconds. I was disappointed that CalHunter actually fell for his crap and banned me, I thought he was smarter than that.

Oldtimer is on the verge of completely loosing it, old age is a beatch (been there done that). I've read on other forums and noticed Topgun back pedaling and running for cover when he found himself talking to who he wanted to be.

Oh well, I guess it takes all kinds.

I've always lived by the premise even the dullest bulb in the room is going to shed some useful light sooner or later. Most people are capable of sorting out the useless from the useful information on there own.

Some may have had experiences that run contrary to current accepted knowledge. Just because you have an occasional new idea or perspective and aren't regurgitating what somebody else has stated as fact, doesn't make a person wrong. It just means they have a different knowledge base.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by woodenb14
Deer numbers where i hunt are still very good. The overall county harvest numbers have been down a little bit, but our group still does very well. Between bow, shotgun, muzzleloader, and the late CWD seasons, i personally take 5-8 deer a year. EHD seems to be a much greater issue, especially back in 2012 and 2013.
That's great! So you are in a CWD zone and still after all these years that CWD has been in town you still have better tha average deer numbers! This is shown over and over in every CWD state. Heck you guys are even in both record books top 5 for record bucks year after year. Takes a few 3 or 4 years to make a trophy like that and yet some want you to believe CWD is killing all the mature deer! CWD sucks and no farmer or hunter wants that crap around but the truth after 60 years of being around it is doing nothing. How long are we going to keep wasting money and ruining people's lives with a bunch of what if's.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by vapahunter
They really hate in when people do not fall in lock step to their "information" . They can show NO case where deer urine scents have contributed to CWD yet they want them all banned in every state.m You can see how nasty they get when someone asks for study. Go look in the regional forums and see how nasty they get qhen questioned but can provide no specific answers to questions asked them. It is just the same old same old talking points. After a while it is not worth reading the repitition.
I have no problem showing their lies and agenda pushing posts are nothing but a waste of reading! They don't care about the CWD. It's pretty obvious what their goal is. They are never going to see it and if the old man knew what was going on he would see that his state is about to see a whole bunch more of it! That's a good thing!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Yea, my county has been "cwd zone" for a number of years. Opened additional seasons with fewer restrictions, and harvest numbers skyrocketed. Its a widley held belief in our county that the increased number of seasons and tags available have been much more detrimental to the deer pop than cwd. I can virtually shoot as many deer as tags that I purchase. And tags are available over the counter thru shotgun seasons. I for one believe cwd is a non issue.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry CWD is an issue but not as bad as some claim and not reason enough to start banning this and that without proof. These bans are totally unenforceable as there is no way to test scents in the field. Also until there is more testing done their is no way to prove that these scents are a cause of CWD. If all the effort was put into testing and less in attempting to ban a product and demeaning those who stand up to them then maybe just maybe the truth would be found out. But if that happens then some would have to eat their words. Do the testing on the scents by an independant group and find out for sure if there is a problem. Find out once and for all positively if they are a problem. Yet no one wants to do them. Why not?