Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Testing for Chronic Wasting in Illinois? >

Testing for Chronic Wasting in Illinois?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Testing for Chronic Wasting in Illinois?

Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Spike

Default Testing for Chronic Wasting in Illinois?

As I'm new to hunting and all, I was just curious to see if anyone sends in samples for tests for CWD in Illinois (or anywhere)? If so, how much does it cost?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.agr.state.il.us/AnimalHW/...esburglab.html

http://www.agr.state.il.us/AnimalHW/...esburgfees.pdf

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) of cervids, IHC Fixed obex, lymph node Daily Varies $45.00

I'd call and ask how they want it packaged.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00M...ex_removal.htm

You can usually tell if an animal is healthy and vital by looking at it.

Not much chance of Deer to human transmission from all I've read. They say it is possible, but has to the best of my knowledge, never been documented. Avoid eating brain tissue, nerve tissue and lymph nodes. Not the most appetizing part of the Deer anyway.

Most of the tests are done on obviously sick animals and are a game management tool.

When the BSE scare hit Europe I went to classes to learn about it. Nasty stuff, you almost have to incinerate (cremate) it to kill it. BSE and CWD are two similar but different diseases.

Just an opinion, but I cook my game well, all the way through, above 160-180 F (same with store bought meat). Won't help with CWD or BSE but will kill 99% of anything else dangerous. I'm a big fan of Goulash or Chili, sear the meat, then toss it into your sauce, bring it to a low boil and simmer for a long time. Just my way of doing things, I've got a parasite phobia LOL.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not from Illinois but we have CWD in PA. Below is some info that is provided to PA hunters in their hunting digest when they buy their license. I will not hunt an area that is known to have had deer with CWD, but that is just me.

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

What is Chronic Wasting Disease?
Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a member of the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) family of diseases that includes Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) or Mad Cow Disease in cattle; Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans; and Scrapie in sheep and goats. It was first recognized in Colorado deer and elk in 1967. The specific cause of CWD is believed to be an abnormal prion (protein infectious particle) that is found in the brain, the nervous system, and some lymphoid tissues of infected animals. It causes death of brain cells and, on a microscopic level, holes in the brain tissue.

What animals get CWD?
CWD has been diagnosed in white-tailed deer, mule deer, black-tailed deer and hybrids thereof, as well as elk, red deer, and moose. There is no evidence that CWD is transmissible to humans or traditional livestock. However, it is recommended that meat from CWD-positive animals not be consumed.

Is CWD dangerous to humans?
There is no evidence that CWD is transmissible to humans or traditional livestock. However, it is recommended that meat from CWD-positive animals not be consumed.

Where has CWD been found?
Chronic wasting disease (CWD) has been detected in three locations in Pennsylvania: a captive deer farm in Adams County (fall 2012); free-ranging deer in Blair and Bedford counties (2012 - 2014 firearms season ); and a captive deer farm in Jefferson county (spring 2014). In addition, CWD has been in wild or captive deer and/or elk in many other states and provinces.

How is CWD spread?
CWD is transmitted both directly through animal-to-animal contact and indirectly through food and soil contaminated with bodily excretions including feces, urine and saliva. Contaminated carcasses or high-risk carcass parts may also spread the disease indirectly through environmental contamination, which last for decades.

Why should I stop feeding deer?
Because any concentration of deer or elk assists in the spread of diseases, immediately stop supplemental feeding programs. For more information, read Please Don't Feed the Deer. (.pdf)

What is being done to manage CWD in Pennsylvania?
Several state and federal agencies, including the Game Commission, Pennsylvania departments of Agriculture (PDA), Health (PDH), and Environmental Protection (DEP), and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) completed a response plan which details methods of prevention, surveillance and response designed to manage CWD. Activities designed to reduce the risks associated with this disease are ongoing. Surveillance for CWD and other diseases has been ongoing in Pennsylvania since 1998 and will continue in order to understand the prevalence and distribution of the disease.

How can I tell if a deer or elk has CWD?
Animals infected with CWD do not show signs of infection for 12 or more months. Late stage symptoms of CWD-infected animals include an extreme loss of body condition; excessive drinking, urination, salivation and drooling; and behavioral and neurologic changes such as repetitive walking patterns, droopy ears, a wide-based stance and listlessness. Some animals lose their fear of humans and predators. There is no known cure. It is important to note that these symptoms are characteristic of diseases other than CWD.

What should I do if I see a deer or elk displaying signs that suggest CWD?
If you see a deer or elk that you believe is sick, do not disturb or attempt to kill or remove the animal. Accurately document the location of the animal and immediately contact the nearest Game Commission region office.

What are high-risk carcass parts?
High-risk carcass parts, where the CWD prion (causative agent) concentrates are: head (including brain, tonsils, eyes and all lymph nodes); spinal cord; spleen; upper canine teeth, if root structure is present; any object or article containing visible brain or spinal cord material; unfinished taxidermy mounts or brain-tanned hides.

Why are there restrictions on the movement of high-risk parts?
Although CWD has been detected in both captive and free ranging deer, the Game Commission's goal continues to be to prevent further introductions of CWD into our state and to prevent spread within the state. The movement of high-risk carcass parts (brain, spinal cord, lymphoid tissues) is a potential avenue through which CWD could be spread. Many states, including Pennsylvania, have developed regulations to prohibit the importation of high-risk carcass parts from CWD endemic states and provinces. Pennsylvania's importation ban prohibits the importation of high-risk carcass parts from these areas. Those hunting within Pennsylvania's CWD-positive areas are also subject to high-risk parts movement restrictions. These parts may not be removed from the designated Disease Management Areas (DMAs).

What carcass parts are safe to move?
Pennsylvania's high-risk carcass parts ban does not limit the importation of: meat, without the backbone; skull plate with attached antlers, if no visible brain or spinal cord material is present; tanned hide or raw hide with no visible brain or spinal cord material present; cape, if no visible brain or spinal cord material is present; upper canine teeth, if no root structure is present; or finished taxidermy mounts. These same parts may be moved out of Pennsylvania's DMAs.

What precautions should hunters take?
Hunters should only harvest animals that appear healthy, and take common-sense precautions like wearing gloves while field dressing an animal and washing hands and equipment thoroughly when finished. Hunters in areas where CWD is known to exist should follow these guidelines to prevent the spread of the disease:

Do not shoot, handle or consume an animal that appears sick.
Wear rubber or nitrile gloves when field dressing.
Bone out the meat from your animal.
Minimize the handling of brain and spinal tissues.
Wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing.
Ask your deer processor to process your meat individually or process your own meat.
Have your animal processed in the area of the state where it was harvested so high-risk body parts can be properly disposed of. It is illegal to take high-risk parts listed in the Cervid Parts Importation Ban out of any Pennsylvania DMA.
Do not import high-risk parts from other states where CWD is known to exist. High-risk parts are described in the Cervid Parts Importation Ban.
Transport out of any Pennsylvania DMA, or bring back to Pennsylvania only low-risk parts: meat without the backbone, skull plate with attached antlers if no visible brain or spinal cord material is present, tanned hide or raw hide with no visible brain or spinal cord material present, cape if no visible brain or spinal cord material is present upper canine teeth if no root structure or other soft material is present, and finished taxidermy mounts. If you plan to hunt in CWD-positive areas, and want to avoid transporting parts that are banned, take a moment to view this video.
Don't consume high-risk parts. Normal field-dressing, coupled with boning out a carcass, will remove most, if not all, of these body parts. Cutting away all fatty tissue will remove remaining lymph nodes.
Have your animal tested, and do not consume meat from any animal that tests positive for the disease.

Where can I have my deer tested?
Hunters can submit their harvested deer to the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA) for testing for a fee using their Chronic Wasting Disease Submission Form.

Is the meat of a CWD positive deer safe to eat?
There is no evidence that under natural conditions CWD affects any species other than those in the deer family. However, as a precaution, hunters are advised to not eat meat from animals known to be infected with CWD.

What if I harvest a deer with evidence of being ear tagged?
Hunters should immediately notify the nearest Game Commission region office if their harvested deer has evidence of being tagged; this could be actual ear tags, torn ears, or holes in the ears. This may indicate an escape from a captive cervid facility.

What if I hunt in an area affected by CWD?
Hunters should continue to enjoy deer and elk hunting in Pennsylvania. However, with the discovery of CWD, hunters should become familiar with the restrictions in any Executive Order for any designated Disease Management Area (DMA) such as prohibitions on feeding and rehabilitation of deer, the use of urine-based lures, and transportation out of the DMA of specific cervid carcass parts. If you plan to hunt in another state where CWD has been found, contact that state's wildlife agency for guidance and be aware that Pennsylvania has a Cervid Parts Importation Ban for these areas.

What if I'm hunting outside Pennsylvania?
Hunters traveling outside of Pennsylvania should consult State and Province CWD Regulations (CWDA*). Most have up-to-date information on the status of CWD in their state or province on their websites. The Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance is also a reliable online resource. Be aware that Pennsylvania has a Cervid Parts Importation Ban for some areas.

If you want to read te entire article here is the link:http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...e=2#DeerTested

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-11-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to hunt in the area in CO where they first discovered CWD in the wild. This was outside Fort Collins CO in unit 9. The CO DOW put out barrels along the roads there with ear tags to fill out. You cut off the head and filled out an ear tag and put it on the ear and dropped it in a barrel. They gathered the heads a couple of times a week and sent them for testing. The procedure was if they didn't contact you in 3 weeks the deer didn't have it and the meat was considered safe to eat. They only notified those that tested positive. I think I took about 10 or 12 does in that area off Lory State Park (they issued unlimited doe tags to thin the herds and you could hunt in the park) and I never had one test positive. I think they wanted to thin the herd by 90% but I don't think they ever got to that level because there has always been a lot of deer in that area.

If you had a buck and didn't want to leave the whole head you could take it to the DOW office in Fort Collins and they would allow you to cape it and cut the antlers off and then they took the rest the head so they could test the brain for CWD. They didn't charge for the testing and if an animal tested positive they had you bring the carcass/meat in for disposal and they refunded the tag fee.

But I have no idea how IL does it.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far there has been nothing established here in IL YET. But with the finds in Wisconsin and Michigan I'd have to say they aren't far off from starting to establish some sort of mandatory testing here and I am sure it wont be cheap. Anything the Government here in Illinois can do to get their grubby hands on some money they surely wont pass up.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
I used to hunt in the area in CO where they first discovered CWD in the wild. This was outside Fort Collins CO in unit 9. The CO DOW put out barrels along the roads there with ear tags to fill out. You cut off the head and filled out an ear tag and put it on the ear and dropped it in a barrel. They gathered the heads a couple of times a week and sent them for testing. The procedure was if they didn't contact you in 3 weeks the deer didn't have it and the meat was considered safe to eat. They only notified those that tested positive. I think I took about 10 or 12 does in that area off Lory State Park (they issued unlimited doe tags to thin the herds and you could hunt in the park) and I never had one test positive. I think they wanted to thin the herd by 90% but I don't think they ever got to that level because there has always been a lot of deer in that area.

If you had a buck and didn't want to leave the whole head you could take it to the DOW office in Fort Collins and they would allow you to cape it and cut the antlers off and then they took the rest the head so they could test the brain for CWD. They didn't charge for the testing and if an animal tested positive they had you bring the carcass/meat in for disposal and they refunded the tag fee.

But I have no idea how IL does it.
Had to bring this great post back to life! The scare tactics by those with agendas want us to believe CWD is going to hurt and wipe out a herd yet here we have another hunter showing of hunting in CWD positive lands where they give unlimited tags and can't keep the deer numbers under control????? This is in an area 60 years deep in CWD. Again the few want the narrow minded to drink their Kool-Aid and preach the CWD gospel! A true Government Joke!!!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, you didn't have to bring anything back to life, your lying input is not needed. Someone ask a legitimate question, he got legitimate answers, he wasn't looking for fairy tales from the defender of deer farming. The only joke is you peddling trash.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

When is this BS going to stop, as now he's digging in the archives looking for threads to bring back up to further spread his incorrect statements on CWD?!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Spike

Hey Topgun. And Oldman You sure can't handle when the new dog shows the facts and shows how you try to pull the wool over people's eyes! The Govt and jokers like you try and get people to believe that this CWD is a bad thing and I show facts that its killing nothing! Period! Don't see how you few say I am pushing some farm or something. I don't even own animals but can see where a few pick out 1 industry to blow your smoke and mirrors to try and push an agenda! This is not going to stop! I am speaking facts and I have the facts to back up my words. It seems like your days of blowing smoke are about over! You can't talk the truth about CWD without pushing your agenda then don't talk at all because there will be facts to dispute most of the crap you push! I will be more than happy to show the readers those facts! A so called killer disease in a state for 60 plus years and they can't keep the deer numbers in check! Yup killer there. The Govt owned Wind Cave elk herd behind fence! The herd is over 50% CWD tested positive and they outgrew their fences and they cut the fence and used helicopters to run some animals out into a National Park? Yup killer there and a Govt not worried enough about CWD that they let them run free for hunters to kill! Yeah tell me all about CWD and what it's doing to anything anywhere! Zippo!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

You haven't shown one FACT yet! You already mentioned in another post about what you do for a living and that's why you're worried that the true facts that are out there are gradually going to bury your industry that is nothing but a turkey shoot with no regard to the animals concerned, but rather that you make $$$$$$! If you were smart, which you're obviously not, you would go away because every time you post you make our case stronger for anyone on the site that reads a thread where you're spouting your BS with not one single fact to back yourself up! Either put up the facts and I mean research showing you're correct or get the heck out of Dodge because everyone can see where you're coming from and it's called dollar city!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.