Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic Tips

Old 02-13-2002, 09:16 PM

Default RE: Ballistic Tips

"Correct me if I am wrong, but a friend says that they were originally developed by the military with the plan being that a wounded enemy took more troops and time to care for them and that the ballistic tips had a higher percentage results. Anybody know?"

Semi-Doubtful, as the Geneva convention agreements in the early 1900's prohibits expanding bullet ammo. The convention does not prevent ammo that "tumbles" upon entry, however.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:25 AM
Spike

Almost all of the deer I shot with the B.T. fell within 30-50 yds. Like many have said there is alnost never an exit hole on chest shot deer, however the amount of internal destruction is amazing.Also on neck shot deer, if you don't aim at the front 1/2 of the neck you will have a problem with the shoulders being bloodshot due to the massive "shock" that this bullet puts out.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:30 AM

I have not been exceptionally happy with them out of my 270 Weatherby(140grain). I started shooting them because of the thick cedar everywhere except the sendero's. I took a shot I probably shouldn't have at a nontypical this year as he was walking into the brush he went behind a bunch prickly pear. They came just above to the bottom of his shoulder. I shot low and clipped the top of the pears. From looking at the holes in the second pear leaf the bullet was in 8 pieces after hitting the first leaf of the pear. I found 1 drop of blood and looked for the deer for most of the day - nothing. I shot 4 other deer behind the front shoulder with the same load and all have run at least 50 to 100 yards. I feel I can get the same knockdown power with a bullet that holds together a little better. JMO Matt

Edited by - Gone_Huntin on 02/14/2002 07:31:15