Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Something to sit on?

Old 10-12-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Something to sit on?

Hey when I go hunting I usually sit on the ground agianst a tree with a blind made out of small pine trees, but my question is does anyone have any good ideas for something to sit on that I could either make or get cheap? I would like it to have some back support since my back starts to hurt after a while. I have tried a bucket but I just seem to be worrying about not falling over all the time. I also dont want to lug out a chair. Thank you in advance!
Old 10-12-2003, 11:18 AM

Default RE: Something to sit on?

There is a seat I use for turkey hunting called a " strut seat" . I' m not sure who makes it but I got mine from Bass Pro Shops. It might be H.S. Strut that makes them. They are comfortable and you can use the tree as a back rest. Maybe get one of those fold up cushions to sit on and half between your back and the tree.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I' ve got a few of the folding metal chairs hid in the woods that I occasionally sit in. They are on the sides of small hills that offer a good view.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:47 PM

A few years back I got a " Tree Seat" at Walmart. Cost was about $10. Made of heavy plastic, it fastens to the tree with a strap, and has teeth on the back of the seat part. Used it a few times when walking or just checking out a new trail. One advantage is being able to adjust the seat height, as it will fit both short and tall.

Russ
Old 10-12-2003, 06:49 PM

I hunt from natural ground blinds as you do. What I often do is cut a few spruce boughs to sit on. It provides a cushion and keeps your backside off the cold ground. If you sit against the trunk of a tree, that should provide the back support you need, unless you' re looking for the upmost in comfort.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:23 PM

alright thanks to all, that " tree seat" sounds pretty good I will have to go check it out. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive been hunting off the ground for about 5 years...since i started....unless im hunting on frozen ground or snow all i take is a thin seat...like one thats in a turkey vest or on a tree stand...just enough to seperate your butt from the twigs ect.....its pretty comfortable..but i have alot of fat on my butt.....usually i dont take anything unless i know im going to sit for a LONG time....just a burden to carry something else the distance we walk to our spot....when theres snow or frozen ground you need something to get you up and out of the snow...last year was one of the few years weve had more then a dusting of snow for deer season and i froze...this year im hunting from a ladder stand for the first year....if i didnt have that id buy one of them chairs that fold out...they pack into a round cylinder bag....they are comfortable and wil keep you out of the frozen ground.....i think it would be nice...and not to much to carry....i pretty much given up on seats...so many and all arent good enough...nothing is better then most of the ones you buy....between me and my dad we tried atleast 5 or 6 diffrent seats in the last few years....he perfers a thick foam one..its about 2-3 inches thick and has 2 soft pieces on the sides and a thick core thats a diffrent foam..not so soft foam but it still gives.....its a nicer seat but i cant find them anymore.....good luck......
Old 10-24-2003, 02:44 PM

I also use a strut seat that works well. they make them with a backrest or without
Old 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my buddys Summit Trophy Chair for turkey season. It' s awesome ! It' s on the expensive side though. I think it' s sold at Cabela' s for around $55.

http://www.camohunter.com/summittrophychair.html