Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips for Buying Hunting Land

Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Spike

Default Tips for Buying Hunting Land

I was just wondering what the more important things everyone looks for when they are buying new hunting land. I'm looking to buy between 80-120 acres of deer hunting land in WI and am not quite sure what to look for. I don't want to buy some land and it end up having a low deer population.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by tommyyboyy05; 02-09-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You need to read and learn what deer need. Cover and depending on how far north in Wisconsin that could mean winter yarding cover.
I would go with a nice mix of old ready to harvest forest some that has been harvested 5 to 10 years ago and some crop land at least 40 acres so plot or crops can be planted to feed the deer.

I look for more than deer habitat too. I like to hunt other game like squirrels, rabbits, grouse and even pheasant's.
I only bought 37 acres depending on how high the water is but is surrounded by several thousands of acres of federal land most people don't want to hunt because of all the cranberry bogs they have to deal with to get to dry land.

Al
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Spike

So would like 75 acres of hardwoods with a river running through it surrounded by cornfields be a pretty decent place? I've attached a plot map of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Tips for Buying Hunting Land-hunting-land.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

That looks like a horrible spot.

You better let me buy that so you don't hate yourself in the morning!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Looks promising....I'd talk to the present owner about deer sightings or other game, then walk the property looking for sign that should tell you what you need to know.

Are there any oak trees, especially white oak? That property looks like a prime bedding area as well. Wish it was closer to me an I was the power ball winner tomorrow...
Old 02-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

First of I would say go 60% ag and food plots and 40% cover. I'd also look at the topography of the property. More hills and draws allows for more stand sights and makes the property much more huntable. I would take forty acres of hill land with fingers of timber over a 100 acre square of timber anyday of the week. Also look at the potential revenue you'll get back from the farm.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the property looks good to you and meets with your approval I make the following recommendation and this goes for any property whether recreational, business or residential.

FIND OUT WHO THE NEIGHBORS ARE! WHEN YOU BUY A PROPERTY THE NEIGHBORS COME WITH IT!

However you have to do it, find out their names and do every bit on online searching you can. Wouldn't hurt to talk to the local sheriff too. Just let them know you are thinking about buying but don't want to blindly buy into any potential problems. If you are using it for hunting I wouldn't buy before you talk to the game warden to see if there have been any issues.

You can't put much weight into anything said by anyone with an interest in selling you the property because they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear for their monetary gain.

Now if there are any dead bodies or skeletons on the property hopefully they will just be some harvested game carcasses....hopefully.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Spike

awesome thanks for the tips everyone! Also what do you look for as far as if the place was recently logged or not logged? I really don't quite understand if logging helps deer or doesn't as I've read mixed articles on the subject.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Spot sounds Ideal except the river running thru it. How do you get to the property on the other side of the river? Will you have to keep some kind of boat/canoe stashed near the river?

Logging can help a property a lot as far as deer habit goes and other game likes it also. when a forest is mature the brows is pretty high so only nuts and stuff that falls from the trees is what the deer have to eat. But when you log off some then sun light will get to the old forest floor and all kinds of low growing brows grows as well as small trees the deer will nibble on as time goes on the trees grow bigger and start blocking the sun light again so the forest floor is about barren. That is why I divided my property into sections and log off a new section about every 5 years.
I would not let who the property's neighbor's influence what property I buy. I had city people move near me who thought their farm fields were great as they rented them to a big farmer but for hunting they thought my woods was the cats pajamas. I told them once, second time I told them no more warnings, third time I filed charges and now I have my woods to my self for the last 15 years.

Al
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tommyyboyy05
awesome thanks for the tips everyone! Also what do you look for as far as if the place was recently logged or not logged? I really don't quite understand if logging helps deer or doesn't as I've read mixed articles on the subject.
There will be stumps from the cut trees along with tree branches an open forrest. I have hunted several places over the years prior to an after they were logged. It takes years for that area to recover an its not easy hunting either. I understand the reasoning, but still don't like it...

Good point on the neighbors, check them out, if any problems take care of it then like said.

If the river has fish in it that's a plus, a small creek would be easier to cross an still provide water to game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.