Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need your opinion on stand placement w/diagram of land >

Need your opinion on stand placement w/diagram of land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need your opinion on stand placement w/diagram of land

Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Spike

Default Need your opinion on stand placement w/diagram of land

-My current stand placement is where the red dot is.
-The yellow lines are where I have found some heavy rub lines.
-The black box is where I have found 4 doe and a buck bed about a month ago
-The yellow box is a standing cornfield but no on my property

Should I move my stand closer to that space between the bedding area woods and the woods where my stand is so I'm between them? or should I just wait until the first snowfall to see where they are moving. I don't plan on moving my stand this winter, instead moving it early spring so they can get used to it. Any ideas you have will be greatly appreciated. I also have creeks running through the entire land.
Attached Thumbnails Need your opinion on stand placement w/diagram of land-deer-rub-lines-stand-placement.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see a yellow box
Old 01-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Spike

This winter I would go thru entire tract of land... I would put a stand on deer trails next to their bedding area on a creek 100 yards from bedding.... Put one on a timber line next to open area (food plot) and one on the two yellow rub lines for prerut/rut
Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would not put a stand at the bedding area, you should keep away from bedding areas. That is a good way to make the deer go elsewhere. Yu know the lay of your land, using the map you posted, walk the land in the areas that look like they would funnel deer, places where more than one trail come together, areas where woods and fiel come togetner, low areas such as shallow ravines etc. When you find well used trails find a good place to place your stand. I had to change stand locations this year because the land my stand was on is sold. I did some scouting in september, I found a location that borders woods and a field and has a ravine abour 30 yards accross. There are 5 heavily used deer trails well within 40 yards. The stand paid off and I suspect it will contunue to do so. Arial maps and topo maps are a good way to get an idea of areas but there is much to be said about putting boots to the gorund and walking the property to see what the der tracks and trails tell you about what the deer are doing.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd put a stand near the two yellow lines at the edge of the opening if thats on your land. Depends are you are hunting with bow or rifle?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I'd put a stand in that pinch point above your stand. And a stands on the points of the trees