HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need your opinion on stand placement w/diagram of land
Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I would not put a stand at the bedding area, you should keep away from bedding areas. That is a good way to make the deer go elsewhere. Yu know the lay of your land, using the map you posted, walk the land in the areas that look like they would funnel deer, places where more than one trail come together, areas where woods and fiel come togetner, low areas such as shallow ravines etc. When you find well used trails find a good place to place your stand. I had to change stand locations this year because the land my stand was on is sold. I did some scouting in september, I found a location that borders woods and a field and has a ravine abour 30 yards accross. There are 5 heavily used deer trails well within 40 yards. The stand paid off and I suspect it will contunue to do so. Arial maps and topo maps are a good way to get an idea of areas but there is much to be said about putting boots to the gorund and walking the property to see what the der tracks and trails tell you about what the deer are doing.