Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Managing bucks, THIS is what I like to see! >

Managing bucks, THIS is what I like to see!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Managing bucks, THIS is what I like to see!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Spike

I'll tell you what...if you are a guy who says that he does not enjoy shooting a big mature brute of a deer with big antlers you are an absolute liar and you know it. If you can sit there and say that you do not start shaking uncontrollably when a huge buck is coming in you are a liar. I can't stand it when people say that! We are all human and we all want to shoot a big deer. Get over yourself and quit chastising people for wanting to do their best to increase their chances of shooting a big buck by managing the deer the best they can on a free range property. Quit trolling on people's threads OldTimer...it just seems like you look for any angle you can to be negative. This is a free message board and people are going to have different views from yourself. I think there are a lot of people who are tired of your negativity.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Spike

Now, that being said, I do believe that Does taste a little better than Bucks. But, faced with a choice between a true trophy sized buck and a doe, I think 99% of hunters would take the trophy and the story. And let's be honest here...if you cook it right it is not as big of a difference in taste as some make it out to be.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

well kyle, before you call someone an absolute liar you better know them. If you stood in front of me and called me a liar, you would be on your back, but of course being anonymous makes it easy to,be brave. I do not care one whit about big antlers, this year I had the biggest buck of my 55 years of hunting in front of me in the cross hairs with a rest and a touch of the trigger would have put him down and I was not shaking uncontrolably like a little girl, I never have in 55 years of hunting. A ten point, well over 200 lbs and I told my 14 year old grandson to shoot, he missed. The world did not end, I am not enamored with bone
If you are, that is your weakness. I would much rather kill a big mature doe of around 150 lbs, and I have killed a lot, than a buck for his antlers. Don't judge others by your weakness and don't call people you don't know a liar, you may meet him one day and wind up on the ground. BTW, I didn't chastise anyone, I simply stated I believe this antler madness is bad for deer hunting. If you don't like that, go back to your own statement regarding people having different opinions, mine is just as valid as yours. I spent 33 years of my life working for hunters and wildlife and I will not take crap from the likes of you nor will I be called a liar by someone who never met me who has computer muscles. PM me if you would like to get together to discuss the difference of opinion, I would welcome it.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-16-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
well kyle, before you call someone an absolute liar you better know them. If you stood in front of me and called me a liar, you would be on your back, but of course being anonymous makes it easy to,be brave. I do not care one whit about big antlers, this year I had the biggest buck of my 55 years of hunting in front of me in the cross hairs with a rest and a touch of the trigger would have put him down and I was not shaking uncontrolably like a little girl, I never have in 55 years of hunting. A ten point, well over 200 lbs and I told my 14 year old grandson to shoot, he missed. The world did not end, I am not enamored with bone
If you are, that is your weakness. I would much rather kill a big mature doe of around 150 lbs, and I have killed a lot, than a buck for his antlers. Don't judge others by your weakness and don't call people you don't know a liar, you may meet him one day and wind up on the ground. BTW, I didn't chastise anyone, I simply stated I believe this antler madness is bad for deer hunting. If you don't like that, go back to your own statement regarding people having different opinions, mine is just as valid as yours. I spent 33 years of my life working for hunters and wildlife and I will not take crap from the likes of you nor will I be called a liar by someone who never met me who has computer muscles. PM me if you would like to get together to discuss the difference of opinion, I would welcome it.
I think your problem is your lack of separation between those who would kill a buck just for his antlers and those who enjoy hunting mature bucks. There is a lot more to it than that. I will admit I like big antlers but it goes a lot damn further than that.

There is a very pure form and then there is the commercial form and I think you would do yourself well to acknowledge that and separate one from the other.

I hunted my buck this year for 2 months straight...no camera, no feeder, and no fence......I liked his antlers but I could have bought 5 sets just like them with just the gas money I spent hunting him. Its about the hunt and its not ruining anything.

Last edited by rockport; 12-16-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:40 AM
Spike

I am not anonymous. My name is right on my profile. I just want people to acknowledge that they would shoot a big buck. Yes, I agree, the meat tastes better on a doe. But, would you not have had your grandson pass and shoot a doe if that was your true conviction!? I agree that the antler madness is out of control, but you cant knock a guy for wanting to shoot a big deer as well as eat it. You can't lump everybody into the "antler mad" group just because that is what is on tv.

I eat all the deer that I harvest. I process myself all the deer that I harvest. I am just so tired of all this holier than thou stuff that comes out of people's mouth about shooting does over bucks. I think it is ridiculous.

You don't have to be a "trophy hunter" to appreciate a nice rack...and i think we can all agree on that!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:42 AM
Spike

Rockport, that is awesome that you hunted that way. Very admirable in a hunting world of technology and buffets of corn for deer.

Last edited by KyleCulwell; 12-17-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:31 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

The buck in the OP has quite a unique rack, almost like an elk! Is that typical of the bucks farther south? Also, it appears to be a bit smaller in body than our northern bucks of that age. I see you estimate at 185, but it has a different look to it than a buck of our area.

Last edited by MZS; 12-17-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted my buck this year for 2 months straight...no camera, no feeder, and no fence......
Here's part of what separates you from a lot of us.

Time. simple time. I was lucky to get out 3-4 times (grad school). I shot a fork horn as there was little time to even hunt.

You also have an advantage in terms of geography. Most folks don't live in places with that big of deer (though it is admittedly a relative thing when it comes trophies). Not so much with me as I live in Kansas and we have big deer. I couldn't see my self going anywhere else.

Resources play into it--many a person is on public land as their only option. Leasing is out of the question as are trail cams, feeders, etc. for many people and they certainly can factor in.

Milo Hansen shot his deer on his own farm. Having his own place is a thing a huge number don't have access to at all.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Here's part of what separates you from a lot of us.

Time. simple time. I was lucky to get out 3-4 times (grad school). I shot a fork horn as there was little time to even hunt.

You also have an advantage in terms of geography. Most folks don't live in places with that big of deer (though it is admittedly a relative thing when it comes trophies). Not so much with me as I live in Kansas and we have big deer. I couldn't see my self going anywhere else.

Resources play into it--many a person is on public land as their only option. Leasing is out of the question as are trail cams, feeders, etc. for many people and they certainly can factor in.

Milo Hansen shot his deer on his own farm. Having his own place is a thing a huge number don't have access to at all.
You seem to have completely missed my point.

I'm not telling you what to shoot. You shoot whatever you want I don't care.

I'm standing up for what I do not against what you do.

Frankly I get quite tired of the same old stuff. Every time somebody wants to talk about hunting mature bucks somebody has to throw in the "ruination of hunting" or "high fences" or "guided facilities" or "meat hunting" (as if were not eating these deer)

It gets old and now I'm supposed to feel guilty because I have time to hunt?

Its nonsense and way passed time to stop lumping people together.

There are people that do things right and people that do things wrong and the vast majority of us that hunt mature bucks eat them just like everybody else and we don't hunt behind high fences or at guided facilities. We hunt them because we love to hunt and we love the challenge of hunting mature whitetail.

Those that hunt "just for antlers" do not reflect the vast majority of us that choose to pursue mature deer and quite frankly bringing it up all the time is just starting to come off as being bitter and jealous.

I'm certainly not criticizing anybody because the deer are small in their area , they don't have time to chase mature bucks, or they simply don't care to hunt mature bucks.....or for that matter even if they don't want to hunt at all. Just don't lump all of us in with the circus show hunting has become simply because we enjoy pursuing mature deer..........that is asinine.

Last edited by rockport; 12-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Every time somebody wants to talk about hunting mature bucks somebody has to throw in the "ruination of hunting" or "high fences" or "guided facilities" or "meat hunting" (as if we're not eating these deer).

It gets old and now I'm supposed to feel guilty because I have time to hunt?

There are people that do things right and people that do things wrong and the vast majority of us that hunt mature bucks eat them just like everybody else and we don't hunt behind high fences or at guided facilities. We hunt them because we love to hunt and we love the challenge of hunting mature whitetail.

Those that hunt "just for antlers" do not reflect the vast majority of us that choose to pursue mature deer and quite frankly bringing it up all the time is just starting to come off as being bitter and jealous.
I couldn't agree any more. That is spot on. Bolded items are key points that I think are extremely characteristic of the type of hunters Rockport and I are. Seems like we are a lot alike in the ways we hunt, treat game with respect and reverence, and EAT our kill. Even is a little tougher to chew!

Sorry to the OP for veering off topic, I just can't stand when people are quick to judge and get negative. Seems to be a common theme for a few posters I have seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.