Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

So who is hunting this week

Old 11-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

loading the truck now , the wife had to go in to work for a few hours today we are heading out as soon as she gets home..

The weather is not going to be good warming up into the 60s this weekend here in GA and wind is turning to southerly, most of my ground blinds [which is what the wife hunts out of] are set up for anything out of the west north or east only have one or two for south winds.. Still gonna be a good weekend..
Old 11-28-2014, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags

I seriously doubt it. Whitetails live on Eastern Plains of CO and the vast majority of them are found around the river bottoms. Very few whitetails are found in the mountainous areas of the state or on the western slope. Mulies live all over the state and those in the Eastern Plains are usually found out on the flats and not around the river bottoms. Which means the 2 species don't come in contact enough to cause one species to get "pushed" out.
do a little research not trying to be a smart butt , Look at the whitetails traditional range and the look at the mulies, then look at the whitetail current range it has grown next look at the mule deers it has shrunk..

I have hunted and studied whitetails all over their range for close to 40 years.. And they "have" pushed mule deer out of their traditional range in many places.. Whitetail are much more aggressive and adaptive and the mule deer would just as soon move as deal with them.The whitetail does not alway stay in the creek and river bottoms they can be found almost anywhere. The whitetail may not move into the more mountainous areas but they are moving into the plains and foothills. One exception to that rule is the whitetail in Washington state that can be found at higher elevations once thought to only hole mule deer or elk..

The reason CO has expanded the whitetail permits are to curb the spread of them WY is considering the same thing..
If you want more info ..not from me.. google any number of articles on Whitetails in mule deer country
How many generations your family has lived in CO has nothing to do with the whitetails adaptability..

Last edited by ojibwa; 11-28-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:19 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

We hunt public land and it gets a little too crowded during firearm season. We'll be out as soon as we get a little snow. Also looking forward to muzzleloader season.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sachiko
We hunt public land and it gets a little too crowded during firearm season. We'll be out as soon as we get a little snow. Also looking forward to muzzleloader season.
I see leasing land is starting to become popular in MI maybe next year you could look into the possibility of leasing some ground... There are several sites you can reference that show available leases statewide.. Either that or find a club to join..

Leasing land here in GA is about the only way to go unless you own your own land, we do have a fair amount of WMAs but they tend to get over hunted.. I pay $1100 for a 110ac farm for one year and it is well worth it..
Old 11-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ojibwa
do a little research not trying to be a smart butt
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

The CO Div of Wildife did pretty extensive studies on why the mulies numbers in the state declined. The studies showed the reason the mulies declines was primarily due to habitat loss. The millions of people that moved into the states had to build houses and the majority of those houses were built on what was known as winter range. These are southern facing hillsides or expanses of open land that was suitable for development which was also excellent mule deer habitat. This lack of winter range caused the mulies to decrease. It wasn't the whitetails at least in CO.

Tell me, if whitetails will push the mulies out then why are there so many mulies living in KS and NE right alongside whitetails? Guess what Genius, if you read the journals of Lewis and Clark they noted both species in their exploratory journey in the early 1800s in what is now MT. So if the species lived side by side then (and continue to do so today), why would one suddenly cause the other to get pushed out now? Have you ever hunted Eastern CO? What about Eastern WY or MT? Or KS and NE? Or OK? Or TX? All of those states have whitetails and mulies inhabiting the same general areas. Yet the mulies there haven't been pushed out.

Is the Whitetail more adaptable? Yes. Is it more aggressive and will it occasionally breed with a mulie doe? Yes. Will that lead to widescale displacement of one species in favor of another? Hasn't happened yet and it won't in either your lifetime or mine since the Lewis and Clark journal shows both have lived together in areas that they still live together.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

You are one onery hard headed so and so...Have good one...

And GO AIR FORCE... lol
Old 11-28-2014, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Air Force is a joke both on the football field and in military expertise. Name me one major battle or war the Air Force ever won on its own without the assistance of another branch of the military. Besides, any fool with a little training can land a plane on 5 miles of runway. Try to land one of 300 ft of the pitching deck of a carrier at night during a blackout in a rain squall. The Navy does that all the time and maybe that's why almost all the astronauts are Navy pilots. Heck, the Air Force didn't even have the courage to rescue their own pilot, Scott O'Grady, when he got shot down because it was "too hot". So we sent in the Navy and the Marines to rescue their fly fly boy.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by flags; 11-28-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

damn you are ornery...lol

For the record I was not the one in the air force my dad was.. He flew fighters in Korea and Vietnam also flew light bombers over eastern Europe when he got to old to fly fighters he flew cargo like c130 and c141s 30 year active duty retired a full bird col.. If it had wings from the mid 50s to the late 70s he flew it..
We buried him in the the Dallas/ Ft worth national cemetery this year 2 days before veterans day.
He wasn't the best dad cause he was alway gone, but he was one hell of a pilot..

Never understood why the various branches don't get along..
Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry for your loss, but your point is?

My grandfather was stationed in the Philippines at the Cavite Navy Yard in Dec 1941 when the Japanese invaded the day after they hit Pearl Harbor. He was attached to the PT Squadron that evacuated MacArthur to Australia as a Motor Machinist Mate First Class and ended up fighting in the jungle with the guerrillas until the Philippines were liberated. He then went to the USS Orestes AGP-10 ( a PT Boat Tender) which was sunk on Dec 24th 1944 in the Straits of Mindoro. The ship suffered a 56% casualty rate from the sinking. He swam to safety and was the stationed on the USS Hilo AGP-9 (another PT Boat Tender) for the rest of the war. Not only did he survived the sinking of a ship, the jungle fighting and the war, he was in Tokyo Bay when the surrender was signed. We buried him with full military honors at Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver after a heart attack finally felled that old Sea Dog.

I did 25 years, 4 months and 11 days on active duty in the Navy as well and it is well known that the Navy not only has more planes and pilots than the Air Force, but they have higher trained pilots as well. There isn't an Air Force jet pilot in the nation that is qualified for flight deck operations on a carrier. Not one.

By the way, I can swap sea stories all day long if you want to. I've got nothing better to do.

Last edited by flags; 11-28-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by ojibwa
I see leasing land is starting to become popular in MI maybe next year you could look into the possibility of leasing some ground... There are several sites you can reference that show available leases statewide.. Either that or find a club to join..

Leasing land here in GA is about the only way to go unless you own your own land, we do have a fair amount of WMAs but they tend to get over hunted.. I pay $1100 for a 110ac farm for one year and it is well worth it..
We've always done just fine on public land. We just like it less crowded later, after firearm season. We don't use a stand, we still hunt. Maybe next year we'll have time to go up north where we can use a rifle. We'll spend the summer scouting and then go up during firearm season to hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.