Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
new slug gun passes the first test.. >

new slug gun passes the first test..

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new slug gun passes the first test..

Old 11-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
it's really not that bad.....the good thing is it only took 6 shots to get it zero'ed..
They are bearable but not fun to shoot. Shoot something like that too much and you could develop a flinch.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Spike

I see your point, but TBH I feel more recoil from 3" turkey loads than I do from slugs. I think having an excellent recoil pad and mounting the gun properly helps a good bit. When I first started shooting slugs, I tried to mount the gun like I would a rifle. A week later I was still sore. Now I mount it like I do for any other shotgun load, and only feel soreness after a lot of shooting.

I suppose everyone is different.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

The Hornady sst slug is 300gr and I shoot the 2 3/4s not the 3". the rig weighs in at 9# with scope and loaded..

I would imagine the 3" have a much harder kick.. I have owned 300 win mags, 30-06 and 7mm they kick much harder..

btw my deer caliber of choice now is a .243 win

Last edited by ojibwa; 11-17-2014 at 11:21 AM.