Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Might have spooked a doe, what do I do now? >

Might have spooked a doe, what do I do now?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Might have spooked a doe, what do I do now?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Spike

Default Might have spooked a doe, what do I do now?

I went hunting this weekend Saturday and Sunday. I went early in the morning and only stayed till noon. So here is what happened:

I was in the tree when two does came near my stand. I made a shot that missed the deer cuz the deer jumped as I shot it. When this happened, it only jumped about 10 ft closer to the other deer and they still sat there for 45 minutes after that. I wanted to load up again but I didn't have another arrow, plus I didn't want to spook the deer. (my quiver recently broke). Then, the deer moved out into the soybean field that is right behind me and I couldn't see them anymore. So, I decided to get down so I could retrieve my arrow and get back into the tree. I was about 1/4 of the way down when the deer must have gotten spooked by a car and started running back. They ran straight to my tree. One of the doe looked straight at me in the tree. I froze and didn't move. Then all of a sudden, it jumped and moved about 10 ft towards the soybean field. It stopped for a few seconds and then both of them just did a casual gallop out. It wasn't like sprinting out, they just got out of the area. When they were about 50 yards out, they started to walk again and they never came back.

I went today and didn't see any deer at all. I know that happens sometimes, but I wasn't worried about it.

My question is: should I have waited longer (like a week) to go back, or should i completely move my stand? I heard that I should probably just wait until next weekend, but I want to make sure because I don't want to hurt my chances.

By the way, this year is my first year hunting, I have been out a total of 5 times.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

No you should not have waited a week, deer get spooked all the time and if they don't associate it with you it is no big deal. You should have however had more than one arrow with you!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-16-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope. Would have been back next day. Those does could have moved on that eveing and not be seen again. I have spooked a particular doe, had a big rub spot on her back, I called her spot, hit a branch on the shot. She jumped, ran a bit, looked around, walked off flicking her tail. Killed her the next morning from same stand!!!

PS. Get a new quiver or fix the old one. Ask Santy, its that time of year!!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spook another one....................

Until you spook a buck; then shoot him !

..............then a trophy !!!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
No you should not have waited a week, deer get spooked all the time and if they don't associate it with you it is no big deal. You should have however had more than one arrow with you!
Well I forgot to sorta detail what had happened. I went hunting Saturday and Sunday. On the Saturday, that is when I saw the 2 doe and possibly spooked them, I went back the next day (Sunday) and didn't see anything.

Even though I didn't see anything, I sorta got the picture that it doesn't matter. I am still going this next weekend for sure. It is supposed to snow Saturday so Idk if I will be able to. I would like to because I heard that hunting while it is snowing is better. That could be wrong, but again this is my first year so I am still learning. I appreciate everyones feedback on this. I will remember next time to just relax and know that I will see them again.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be patient. They will come back.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't worry they will come back and there not the only two deer in the woods anyway.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Might want to go better equipped starting with a new quiver or some other way to carry more arrows. What are you going to do if you just injure a deer? Seems like you need to do more before you go back out.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
don't worry they will come back and there not the only two deer in the woods anyway.
I agree...while you may have spooked the one...others will be there to take its place. otherwise you wouldnt be able to kill a deer in the same area time and time again. lol