HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Might have spooked a doe, what do I do now?
Old 11-16-2014, 11:12 AM
mathewhunter2014
Spike

Default Might have spooked a doe, what do I do now?

I went hunting this weekend Saturday and Sunday. I went early in the morning and only stayed till noon. So here is what happened:

I was in the tree when two does came near my stand. I made a shot that missed the deer cuz the deer jumped as I shot it. When this happened, it only jumped about 10 ft closer to the other deer and they still sat there for 45 minutes after that. I wanted to load up again but I didn't have another arrow, plus I didn't want to spook the deer. (my quiver recently broke). Then, the deer moved out into the soybean field that is right behind me and I couldn't see them anymore. So, I decided to get down so I could retrieve my arrow and get back into the tree. I was about 1/4 of the way down when the deer must have gotten spooked by a car and started running back. They ran straight to my tree. One of the doe looked straight at me in the tree. I froze and didn't move. Then all of a sudden, it jumped and moved about 10 ft towards the soybean field. It stopped for a few seconds and then both of them just did a casual gallop out. It wasn't like sprinting out, they just got out of the area. When they were about 50 yards out, they started to walk again and they never came back.

I went today and didn't see any deer at all. I know that happens sometimes, but I wasn't worried about it.

My question is: should I have waited longer (like a week) to go back, or should i completely move my stand? I heard that I should probably just wait until next weekend, but I want to make sure because I don't want to hurt my chances.

By the way, this year is my first year hunting, I have been out a total of 5 times.