Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me out

Old 11-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Spike

Default Help me out

I am a relatively new hunter. This is my first year archery hunting and the first time having free access to private land. I was hoping you all could give me some tips to take my first whitetail. I only have access to an acre of wooded area but it is part of a pretty big wooded area of all private land. I have not had time to scout in the summer because I just found, out two weeks ago, that I have access to this land. I walked around a little bit and found some deer pellets. I have a climber but the trees that are suitable are few to none and the wind direction never seems to cooperate with the trees I can use. I found a little open area, off of the thickets, where I saw the deer pellets, that has two suitable trees. I put out 50 lbs bag of corn and a trail camera. The corn was gone in 5 days and I have pictures of all does on my trail cam. I put out 50 more lbs of corn. The problem is all the pictures were at night. I have sat in those trees for three days and have not seen anything. I went in 1 and ½ hours before sun rise and left around noon. My first question is, should I bother with rattle bags, calls, and doe estrus, in my situation, because all I see on my cam are does? Two, is this a complete waist of time lol or do I have a chance? Three, am I in the right place or should I move? I wish I could show you a picture of the property but I will try to describe it. The wooded area is shaped like a lowercase n there is a large open field on the north end of the n that I do not have access to. Actually, I only have access to a little sliver of the inside portion of left prong of the n. The woods start out pretty open on the north end ( top of n) and gradually get thicker as you go south. The wind usually blows in the south- south west direction. I am set up about 40 feet in, mid way on the left line of the n. the woods extend out on both sides of the n. Should I abandon my bait area, loose the tree stand and go into the thickets on the south end? Or should I stick to my guns and forget about the wind? Any and all help would be appreciated. I really have no idea where the deer are or where they are coming from. Most of the woods are to the east, and a good portion to the west, but I suspect there are deer in the thickets to the south. There is only a small portion of woods ( about 50-75 yards) to the south and then houses.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

best to look for trails, Deer typically are going to the kitchen or coming from the kitchen in a manner of speaking. wind does come into play but if you can set in a stand that wind comes towards you and away from the trails it would be best. Also have you tried evening hunts? They may be coming in there in the evening going to their bedding areas. With colder weather and less light you will see more deer later in the day. Good luck and wear your harness if you go in a tree.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Spike

I found one trail but I do not think it's an active trail, it could even be a people trail. No deer signs droppings or anything. But there is long grass folded down in spots just outside the trail in the field. Maybe a summer time trail???at this point it is a little late for scouting and I do not want to go blindly stomping through the thickets looking for trials. But that is what I will have to do if I want to be down wind. I'll also have to lose the stand and abandon the bait. I'm getting does to come to the corn, I'm just not sure what direction they are coming from and they only come in the middle of the night. If I'm only seeing does on my cam does that mean there aren't any bucks? I just want meat in the freezer should I use calls and scents? I'm thinking I might try the bait spot one more time for an evening hunt and then try something else just not sure what that should be.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gordonrs
I found one trail but I do not think it's an active trail, it could even be a people trail. No deer signs droppings or anything. But there is long grass folded down in spots just outside the trail in the field. Maybe a summer time trail???at this point it is a little late for scouting and I do not want to go blindly stomping through the thickets looking for trials. But that is what I will have to do if I want to be down wind. I'll also have to lose the stand and abandon the bait. I'm getting does to come to the corn, I'm just not sure what direction they are coming from and they only come in the middle of the night. If I'm only seeing does on my cam does that mean there aren't any bucks? I just want meat in the freezer should I use calls and scents? I'm thinking I might try the bait spot one more time for an evening hunt and then try something else just not sure what that should be.
you are prob close to bedding areas. You also may be scaring them out when you walk in. try to clear a trail to your stand so you dont make much noise when you go in. Trails dont have to have pellets to be active. If they look worn there should be tracks old or new in the trails.

Where there are doe's there will be bucks close by. the rut will have them moving around more. I suggest getting into the stand 1.5 to 2 hours before sunset. Put your bait 30yds from your stand and Clear a trail of sticks leaves branches etc 30yds left to right of your stand overlapping your bait. So you have a clear shot. The deer will find the trail and use it. Then you just have to wait. As the days get shorter the deer will come out close to the last hour of shooting light. A nice mature doe is better to eat than a rutting buck. I'll shoot a nice buck if it comes out but Im not going to hold out and wait on a buck if I see nice big doe come out.

Hope this helps some more.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Spike

Thank you. Tomorrow is the day. Maybe you can help me pick my tree. I have two trees one at the end of the trail, from the field to the open area in the woods. I have been using this trail to access the woods. It is on the east side and I was set up facing the south -southwest with my back to the trail I use because that is where I saw deer signs and I have a feeling they are coming from the south. The only problem is, I can't get real high, I have no cover, and the wind blows to the south -south west ( the way I am facing). Also if a deer comes up the trail I have been using I'm busted. My other tree is on the south end of the open area, I can get high, I have cover, and the wind is in my face. But my only chance will be if the deer follow me in on the trail I use to access the woods. If the deer are behind me (where I saw droppings) I'm screwed. Which tree would you use.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where is your bait? if the bait is in front of you and the wind is blowing from you towards the bait you are going to get busted by deer. You want the wind blowing from the bait towards you.

When walking in Id suggest spraying your self with scent killer, then on the bottoms of your boots spray doe pee, a doe will think its another deer walking through and a buck will think a doe is near. I wouldnt spray any estrous stuff quite yet unless the rut is in full swing and you dont want to spray it all over yourself just the bottoms of your boots. This is a cover scent. once you are in the tree you can spray a couple times and get some scent going that can cover/ dilute your scent.

A lot of times Ive sat in stands no matter what direction I faced the deer would always come up from behind me...could be they smelled me at some point and circle around. but with wind in your face and bait in front of you they should come in from that direction. You just have to be as silent as possible coming in, get set up(allow enough time to get in the tree), and sit still and wait, I want to sit at minimum 2 hours before last shooting light so however long it takes to get in your tree add that time to the two hours.. Also wait to come out of the tree till the deer leave or after shooting light. You dont want to come out of the tree at the last hour to 30 minutes of shooting light since thats prime time for them to come out.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Spike

I saw a moster buck today! It was headed straight for me but moving fast and never slowed down. It got about 40 yards away, and in one motion turned around and took off with its tail in the air. Not sure how he busted me, the wind was in my face, I used no scent detergent, and showered with no scent soap and used a cover scent. I'm still excited to have seen my first buck while hunting. Thanks again for the tips. I chose the wrong tree if I would have been in the other tree I might have gotten a shot off.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure how he busted me,
Did you get caught moving? Maybe turning your head to quick? Deer notice that.

I wear a face mask for that reason. You still have to be very slow, and sweep your eyes, but it does keep the deer from suddenly seeing a big round disk, which happens to be a predators facial profile.

Which tree would you use.
It's a little hard for me to visualize the place your in, but be downwind from where the deer are going. If you can't get downwind, quarter the wind. If you have to cross a path, do it early to let your scent dissipate. cover scents can help. it's best if you can avoid this altogether.

Consider a getting into a downed tree or whipping up a quick blind to get yourself in a good position. it can be as simple as a piece of camo cloth. i have half of an old army pup tent with a couple of poles for this. you might have to let things sit for a day or two if you set something up, but it can be done.

You can rig up a brush pile as well. It doesn't have to be much, just enough to break up your shape. Since your hunting with a bow, you have the issue of drawing while on the ground and it makes it more difficult. you can help yourself by using the cover. Draw when the deer pops behind a tree, or when it puts its head down. Keep an eye on its tail. A deer will often flick it when it's about to look up.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 11-05-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Spike

Thank you. Maybe he saw me moving but I don't see how. He was on a mission, moving fast, jumping over brush, weaving in and out of trees coming straight for me but I only got glimpses as he darted in and out of sight. He did get pretty close to the trail I came in on and changed his mind instantly, maybe he didn't like my cover scent or was already spooked coming my way.

The problem is I don't really know where the deer are coming from, the buck came from the north. Just before dark a doe came in from the south. She was down wind of me and came within 10-15 yards but I didn't have a shot. She was is some thick stuff and never came out. It is still encouraging seeing deer and knowing they are there. Just wish I knew about this land sooner so I could have scouted it properly.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer will get you on movement, sound, or smell or any combination of the 3. Its getting to be full rut time so the bucks will be getting stupid. Good luck!