Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which Buck would you kill.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure would be for me, but i'm not a trophy hunter. However, it's always nice to shoot a good looking buck.

Over the years i've shot some good looking bucks and bulls. Even though it was never my goal to hunt for a trophy. I do go after the mature animals just for the challenge.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Sure would be for me, but i'm not a trophy hunter. However, it's always nice to shoot a good looking buck.

Over the years i've shot some good looking bucks and bulls. Even though it was never my goal to hunt for a trophy. I do go after the mature animals just for the challenge.
Whats the difference between a trophy hunter and a guy that goes after mature animals for the challenge?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I always explained it to people like this: I dont consider myself a trophy hunter. I call for Bucks, but when a Doe comes I'm more than happy to take her. I also call for Does just as much if not more than Bucks. Its all about the meat for me, The deer I kill feeds my family for the winter. But I love gettin a Big Buck if the oppurtunity arises.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Whats the difference between a trophy hunter and a guy that goes after mature animals for the challenge?
You really don't know?

Maybe this will help you...........I leave the antlers at the kill. No dead heads on my walls.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot does and eat all my meat as well.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You really don't know?

Maybe this will help you...........I leave the antlers at the kill. No dead heads on my walls.
No I really don't know the difference. It seems like most of us that are trophy hunters are pursuing mature deer for the challenge. If I just shot whatever walked out I'd only be hunting about 5 days a year.

So thats the difference? Leaving the antlers at the kill?

Last edited by rockport; 10-14-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

I leave the antlers at the kill.
I read a lot of truly unbelievable things on this forum. That was just an example right?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
No I really don't know the difference. It seems like most of us that are trophy hunters are pursuing mature deer for the challenge. If I just shot whatever walked out I'd only be hunting about 5 days a year.

So thats the difference? Leaving the antlers at the kill?
IMO: a mature animal is just an old animal. a mature deer can have small antlers or large antlers.

Trophy hunters are looking for wallhangers.
Mature animal hunters pass up the younger deer for something a little older.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

As far as I'm concerned, being a trophy hunter doesn't hurt anything. It gives younger bucks a chance to grow a little older. In my area there is a much greater number of does than there are bucks. If I want deer meat I'm getting myself a doe. It's easy meat. For me there is no need to shoot a small buck. My idea of a trophy is 125"+. I don't have many opportunities to chase 170 class deer because they are hard to find. If I waited for something that big I would never bag a buck.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bristowboy_20
IMO: a mature animal is just an old animal. a mature deer can have small antlers or large antlers.

Trophy hunters are looking for wallhangers.
Mature animal hunters pass up the younger deer for something a little older.
Ive killed a few smaller racked mature deer.

It almost appears to me that "meat hunter" in most cases just = I didn't see any big ones.

I mean I am a trophy hunter but

1. we eat all of our meat

2. I also shoot does

3. I will also take what I can get if I can't get a big one(although I'd probably go without if that meant shooting small bucks but I don't see why it ever would)

That seems pretty similar to me.

Last edited by rockport; 10-14-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.