Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another beginner question

Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=SecondChance;4142276] I have both personally seen and been told about assailants that were heart shot with rounds from 308's that continued for upto 8 seconds after being hit perfectly in the heart. [QUOTE]

I have read that a heart shot deer has enough oxygen and energy stored in its muscles to be able to run half a mile -- wish I could remember where . . .
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=Murdy;4142508][QUOTE=SecondChance;4142276] I have both personally seen and been told about assailants that were heart shot with rounds from 308's that continued for upto 8 seconds after being hit perfectly in the heart.

I have read that a heart shot deer has enough oxygen and energy stored in its muscles to be able to run half a mile -- wish I could remember where . . .
***Many moons ago I tracked a big doe down that a guy shot with a 12 gauge slug. She went over 200 yards and when we dressed her out the slug had split her heart right in half! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Spike

Don't worry mate, everybody was a beginner once, just learn more and more and go ahead
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
First off, I agree that even the 22 LR or mag will do the job, but may not either be legal nor ethical. So no, not any choice above a 22 Mag will do.

Second. "Stopping power" is not Redneck BS. What would you rather have with you if you were say fishing along your favorite salmon river and a brown or griz approached and decided that you looked better than those fish he had been eating all along, anything above a 22 Mag or something in the .375 and above class?
Thats where your "Stopping Power" comes into play. It is better known in our "Redneck" world as Kenetic energy and energy transformation comes from resulting in the tear or crush factor from the Hydrostatic effect. Simply put, mass damage to affected and surrounding tissues resulting in immediate incapacation due to a properly placed projectile.
Third. In a perfect world, a heart shot does cease a forward assualt. BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!! I have both personally seen and been told about assailants that were heart shot with rounds from 308's that continued for upto 8 seconds after being hit perfectly in the heart. For immediate incapacation, the shot has to be delivered to the cerebellum or modulla oblongata.
So in all, its not is RedNeck BS.
I'd be just fine with having a 22 short if a bear attacked me.
I deer hunt with a 4570 the buck in my avatar had his heart exploded by it and yes he still ran fifty yards. So it doesn't matter how big your round is at all. It would have been the same thing with a 22 I put it through his heart he's gonna stop within ten seconds.
Head shot = dropped
Heart shot = dead in ten seconds or less
Lungs = maybe 30 seconds?
And ya know what? It doesn't really matter which bullet does it.
I wonder how many people carry the 22? I'm gonna have to tell them they're not carrying enough stopping power now that I've been "enlightened" about kinetic energy.
I mean honestly to a bullet flesh is like jello
Haha oh bears are so hard to kill lol it's not like they're made of Kevlar or something man. Every animal we hunt is flesh and bones just like you and me. I know a 22 short could stop me dead so I know it could stop a bear.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Spike

Default Remington 770

the remington 770 is nice in this 30-06 and not going to break the bank walmart has it at less than $400 however keep in mind you will want to replace the scope it has from the factory and will want to free float the barrel there is videos to do this on you tube but it will void the warranty but will improve accuracy and reduce flyers conciderably
Old 06-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Spike

it is also available in 308 at the same price
Old 06-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Spike

there is also product reviews on utube for most firearms
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Spike

i would say 30 06 kicks more
Old 07-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Spike

My opinion.......

The bigger the chunk of lead=better shooting through brush and braking bones to put the deer down fast. But, you cant really shoot great distances.

The smaller the chunk of lead=better ability to shoot long distance. But, bullet deflection from wind or brush becomes an issue.

Any caliber you choose, no matter what, you should practice often with it. Become one with the weapon. To be so comfortable with your weapon that you can see your target, react, shoulder your weapon, acquire your target, know the safety switch as second nature, and execute a fatal shot all with ease and with fluid motion in 3 seconds or less.

My theory.......

Big lead=Big wound channel=Big blood trail=Big smiles when you recover your deer

Happy Hunting!

Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide
www.whitetailstrategies.net
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Yep if it kills it.... That's the right one! No need to over analyze it. Sharp stick, projectile, rock, car bumper It is really that simple. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.