HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What do hunters do with their dead deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/389502-what-do-hunters-do-their-dead-deer.html)

barnee22 02-05-2014 08:37 PM

What do hunters do with their dead deer?

What do you all do with your deer once you kill it? Do you butcher it? Or, do you cut the head off and leave the rest for the critters?

rockport 02-05-2014 08:57 PM

Is this a real question?

barnee22 02-05-2014 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4120772)
Is this a real question?

Yes, It's a real question.

barnee22 02-05-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4120772)
Is this a real question?

I'm not a hunter, I'm a land owner with lots of deer and turkeys on it. I have questions, lots of them. We have owned this land for 20 years and has never been hunted. So we are learning the ropes. We are going to either lease it or sell hunts. I think leasing it to a small group of hunters would be best....I don't know. Just learning. We are starting with turkeys, just a few to get started. All we know is that there are turkeys and deer everywhere. The neighbor put the cameras out last fall for us, so we have pictures, plus we see them all the time.

rockport 02-05-2014 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by barnee22 (Post 4120781)
I'm not a hunter, I'm a land owner with lots of deer and turkeys on it. I have questions, lots of them. We have owned this land for 20 years and has never been hunted. So we are learning the ropes. We are going to either lease it or sell hunts. I think leasing it to a small group of hunters would be best....I don't know. Just learning. We are starting with turkeys, just a few to get started. All we know is that there are turkeys and deer everywhere. The neighbor put the cameras out last fall for us, so we have pictures, plus we see them all the time.

Oh I see. Hunters should never waste the animal

Wingbone 02-06-2014 02:18 AM

My wife and I eat 2-3 deer a year. That's my goal. Anything beyond that gets processed into sausage. And that's also eaten. The trophy is nice, but, for me, not a priority.

redmag 02-06-2014 03:54 AM

The first 2 are made into burger and the loin is butterflied by a processor for my wife and I. The rest are given away to several families that like and can use the meat.

Kansas1977 02-06-2014 04:27 AM

Not sure where in Kansas you're at? But, I'd be more than willing to help you out with your turkey problem. I have a 8 year old girl and a 5 year old boy that I'd love to take them turkey hunting. They've been deer hunting with me the past two years, but we have no turkey on our family ground. Tried some public last year with them and didn't see a thing. And to answer your question, we eat all the game we kill and love it.

theshark 02-06-2014 04:38 AM

Take it to the butcher. What I cant eat goes to Families in need....

MZS 02-06-2014 04:58 AM

In virtually every state, and I would even bet every state, the law says that you must not waste the deer. Only rotten poachers would leave the deer to waste after only cutting off the head and perhaps the hind quarters. Rest assured that any legal hunters you have leased out on your land will not let the deer go to waste.

Personally, I trim every last scrap of usable meat and bring it to a butcher to mix with beef for hamburger.

2eagles 02-06-2014 05:04 AM

I butcher my own game. We eat no beef, but deer is almost always in the freezer. Had a good year again this year so I can share with my daughter and my father. I'll be traveling from Iowa to Colorado sometime this spring to give dad his meat. I could come through Kansas to give you pointers on where on your property would be good to set up a hunting area. And maybe (if during season) shoot one of those pesky turkeys for you. :biggrin:

vapahunter 02-06-2014 05:39 AM

If nothing else look for a Hunters for the Hungry program in your state. They will gladly take all the meat you want to provide. Ethical hunting requires you to not just kill and leave an animal lay where killed. If you can not use the meat others can. All it takes is a little research and talking to people. I could give away meat from a dozen deer if I was able to each year.

blaZer_2 02-06-2014 07:24 AM

cut the meat off for steaks or take it to get sasage made and any we dont need is donated to help people in need.

RWK 02-06-2014 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by barnee22 (Post 4120769)
What do you all do with your deer once you kill it? Do you butcher it? Or, do you cut the head off and leave the rest for the critters?

22 are you NUTS

kampmanfan4life 02-06-2014 08:28 AM

First deer goes to butcher for sausage, and ground beef. I also use some for beef jerky.

Anything after 1st deer is given to anybody in hunting party who wants it or donated to food pantry.

buckman11 02-06-2014 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4120783)
Oh I see. Hunters should never waste the animal

rockport is right. a true hunter never wastes the animal.

ShedHound53 02-06-2014 09:00 AM

I eat them and dispise people that let the meat go to waste

buckman11 02-06-2014 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ShedHound53 (Post 4120859)
I eat them and dispise people that let the meat go to waste

you couldn't be more right.

flags 02-06-2014 11:07 AM

I utilize every edible part of the animal including all the meat, the heart, the liver and the tongue. I have always butchered my own meat which means I cut, trim, vacuum pack it and freeze it. My family hasn't bought store bought meat since 1986. A buzzard would starve off a skeleton after I'm done with it.

Frankly, I don't know about the rest of you, but for a new guy to come on the forum and even ask if a hunter just takes the head and leaves the rest to rot kind of PI$$ES me off! No hunter would do that. A poacher would but a hunter would not and if this guy doesn't understand the difference then he is utterly clueless!

Topgun 3006 02-06-2014 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4120887)
I utilize every edible part of the animal including all the meat, the heart, the liver and the tongue. I have always butchered my own meat which means I cut, trim, vacuum pack it and freeze it. My family hasn't bought store bought meat since 1986. A buzzard would starve off a skeleton after I'm done with it.

Frankly, I don't know about the rest of you, but for a new guy to come on the forum and even ask if a hunter just takes the head and leaves the rest to rot kind of PI$$ES me off! No hunter would do that. A poacher would but a hunter would not and if this guy doesn't understand the difference then he is utterly clueless!

***Didn't really language edited by JW rule #1 ************ (make me mad :D) being as we're on a hunting forum, but rather had me thinking like DUH, REALLY!!!

rockport 02-06-2014 11:26 AM

At first yeah but after the explanation not at all.

The OP is not a hunter and it seems they are not even interested in hunting themselves.

If ya don't know all you can do is ask. A lot of people come from a different walk of life.

nchawkeye 02-06-2014 11:30 AM

I can turn deer into tacos, spaghetti, vegetable soup, steaks, roasts, lasagna, dang, I'm making myself hungry... :)

Deer ham on the right, pork on the left...Both were smoked for our Thanksgiving meal...

buffybr 02-06-2014 01:34 PM

Like others have posted, I believe that it is illegal in all states to waste game meat. I've processed my own game meat for many years and although I've never eaten the tongues, all of the other edible meat has been processed and eaten. Even the oldest animals with the largest horns/antlers that might go on my wall, the meat has gone into my freezers and onto my table.

At one camp that I was at in Africa, everything except the contents of the stomach and intestines was eaten. The tracker from my Eland hunt took the stomach home and said it would feed his family for a week.

JW 02-06-2014 02:40 PM

barnee - think the first thing you should do is read the hunting regulations for Kansas.

While I could not find I do believe leaving game shot and not harvesting the meat on purpose is a violation and one could loose their hunting priveldges and be fined if not both.
I have written the state for the actual regulation as I could not find it in the regs.

Hunters do not randomly shoot game just to leave them rot. That is not a hunter.

Also note do be careful on your advertising. I am beginning to believe you are not new to this. Advertising is "FREE" in our classified sections but will be deleted in the General Forums.

JW

Wilcam47 02-06-2014 05:22 PM

Some people are that uniformed.

OP--True hunters either keep the meat for themselves or donate it to some kind of feed the hungry program. Only poachers and idiots let a game animal go to waste. It would be like buying a 100lbs of prime rib and throwing it in the trash.

Read the hunting regs for Kansas...to get familiar with the laws.

Dont feel like you are getting dog piled because there are a lot of hippies/PETA/tree huggers that come in here to cause trouble. If you have legitimate questions feel free to ask. Just say you dont know otherwise people will think you are trolling to cause trouble.

Lunkerdog 02-06-2014 08:31 PM

JW... It's good to see yer on top of things!!!

Lets ask some questions folks... Is the OP living in a dang cocoon??? He has owned land (3 farms according too one of his other posts) In Kansas for 20 years, but doesn't know what hunters do with their animals after they shoot them??? Really??? Think about it folks... Yer being played!!!

Even if he's only 20 years old himself... He's in hunting country... Good luck trying to convince me that he doesn't have a clue!!!

Even for an urban farmer it's a foolish question...

Tundra10 02-06-2014 10:38 PM

eat it .

flags 02-07-2014 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog (Post 4121016)
JW... It's good to see yer on top of things!!!

Lets ask some questions folks... Is the OP living in a dang cocoon??? He has owned land (3 farms according too one of his other posts) In Kansas for 20 years, but doesn't know what hunters do with their animals after they shoot them??? Really??? Think about it folks... Yer being played!!!

Even if he's only 20 years old himself... He's in hunting country... Good luck trying to convince me that he doesn't have a clue!!!

Even for an urban farmer it's a foolish question...

Yep, that's pretty much how I see it as well. I've spent a lot of time in KS and to say it is a hunter friendly state is an understatement. There is no way this guy has spent 20 years in KS and has not talked to a hunter, known one or been related to one. Go there during deer season and nearly every pickup you see has a buck in the back of it.

Plus, he is thinking of leasing the area out and has no clue as to the state's hunting regulations???? Sorry, I ain't buying this line of B.S.

Bob H in NH 02-07-2014 05:04 AM

Sounds like the guy is not a hunter, but someone who found himself with some land he'd like to open up to hunters. He has questions, so asked on a hunting board. Let's help him out instead of treat him like dirt or sarcastically answer the questions.

Hunters eat what they shoot. There are typically waste laws preventing just leaving it there.

westMDbowhunter 02-07-2014 07:53 AM

Please leave the forum...
Smh..
Actually I just shoot it and go boy that was fun then I edited by JW ~ reason language and rule #1 on it..
*********** moron.
we want the meat number one ??????

westMDbowhunter 02-07-2014 08:08 AM

Haha Barnee you jEdited by JWlol
This is honestly funny but I didn't even notice you were the same person.
You really do have a lot of stupid questions don't you?

Lunkerdog 02-07-2014 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH (Post 4121070)
Sounds like the guy is not a hunter, but someone who found himself with some land he'd like to open up to hunters. He has questions, so asked on a hunting board. Let's help him out instead of treat him like dirt or sarcastically answer the questions.

Hunters eat what they shoot. There are typically waste laws preventing just leaving it there.

Bob, did you read his third post in this thread? He says they've owned the land for 20 years... Maybe he just got back from his education abroad:poke:

BTW... I'm not ripping into him... I was addressing everyone else... I think that JW is right, and this guy knows more than he's letting on.

JW 02-07-2014 08:40 AM

I did get a response back for KS but did not answer the question completely. So I rephrased my question and submitted again.

However it is good to know about retrieving wounded game. In my state you DO NOT have the right to pursue it unless permission is granted from the landowner first.
In KS you can go get it without asking (at least how I read the attached ~ HOWEVER` - IF ASKED TO LEAVE YOU MUST DO SO.)

21-5810. Criminal hunting. (a) Criminal hunting is knowingly hunting, shooting, furharvesting, pursuing any bird or animal, or fishing:
(1) Upon any land or nonnavigable body of water of another, without having first obtained permission of the owner or person in possession of such premises;
(2) upon or from any public road, public road right-of-way or railroad right-of-way that adjoins occupied or improved premises, without having first obtained permission of the owner or person in possession of such
premises; or
(3) upon any land or nonnavigable body of water of another by a person who knows such person is not authorized or privileged to do so, and:
(A) Such person remains therein and continues to hunt, shoot, furharvest, pursue any bird or animal or fish in defiance of an order not to enter or to leave such premises or property personally communicated to such person by the owner thereof or other authorized person; or
(B) such premises or property are posted in a manner consistent with K.S.A. 32-1013, and amendments thereto.
(b) Criminal hunting as defined in:
(1) Subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2) is a class C misdemeanor. Upon the first conviction of subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2), in addition to any authorized sentence imposed by the court, such court may require the forfeiture of the convicted person’s hunting, fishing or fur harvesting license, or all, or, in any case where such person has a combination license, the court may require forfeiture of a part or all of such license and the court may order such person to refrain from hunting, fishing or fur harvesting, or all, for up to one year from the date of such conviction. Upon a second or subsequent conviction of subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2), in addition to any authorized sentence imposed by the court, such court shall require the forfeiture of the convicted person’s hunting, fishing or fur harvesting license, or all, or, in any case where such person has a combination license, the court shall require the forfeiture of a part or all of such license and the court shall order such person to refrain from hunting, fishing or furharvesting, or all, for one year from the date of such conviction. Do Note!:A person licensed to hunt and following or pursuing a wounded game bird or animal upon any land of another without permission of the landowner or person in lawful possession thereof shall not be deemed to be in violation of this provision while in such pursuit, except that this provision shall not authorize a person to remain on such land if instructed to leave by the owner thereof or other authorized person. For the purpose of determining whether a conviction is a first, second or subsequent conviction of subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2), ‘‘conviction’’ or ‘‘convicted’’ includes being convicted of a violation of subsection (a) of K.S.A. 21-3728, prior to its repeal, or subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2); and (2) subsection (a)(3) is a class B misdemeanor. Upon the first conviction or a diversion agreement of subsection (a)(3), in addition to any authorized sentence imposed by the court, the court shall require forfeiture of such person’s hunting, fishing or fur harvesting license, or all, or in the case where such person has a combination license, the court shall require forfeiture of a part or all of such license for six months. Upon the second conviction of subsection (a)(3), in addition to any authorized sentence imposed by the court, such court shall require the forfeiture of the convicted person’s hunting, fishing or fur harvesting license, or all, or in the case where such person has a combination license, the court shall require forfeiture of a part or all of such license for one year. Upon the third or subsequent conviction of subsection (a)(3), in addition to any authorized sentence imposed by the court, such court shall require forfeiture of the convicted person’s hunting, fishing or fur harvesting license, or all, or in the case where such person has a combination

I keep asking for an answer as I am sure wanton waste and only taking the head is a Criminal offense.

While I give the OP the benefit of doubt there is just too much that don't add up in today's world.

JW

Topgun 3006 02-07-2014 09:06 AM

JW---I did a google search on Kansas wanton waste law and this came up on their DNR website:

Giving, Receiving Game / Sale of Game / Wanton Waste

GIVING, RECEIVING GAME

Game given to another person must be accompanied by the donor's name, address, hunting or fishing license number or permit number (if permit required), and signature, as well as the date of donation (Download Suggested Donation Form )

SALE OF GAME
It is illegal to sell wild game meat. This includes the sale of game at banquets or charitable events. Furbearer meat may be sold. (See “ Disposing of Furbearers”)

WANTON WASTE
By regulation, hunters must attempt to find any game crippled or killed. Retrieved animals must be kept until they are
1.eaten;
2.taken to a taxidermist or processor; or
3.given to another person, or
4.transported to the hunter's residence

JW 02-07-2014 09:30 AM

Thanks TG - beat me to it as I just got a reply back to my rephrased question and you answered it.

I was sent the Kansas code to what it might cost if caught.

HUNTING VIOLATIONS: (Penalty Section - KSA 32-1031)
Wanton Waste of Game Birds or Animals KSA 32-1008
$25.00 for each animal or bird over limit [to me it ought to be higher!]
Court costs $98.00

But now you know it is against the law

And ethical hunters never ever do this!

JW

Pawildman 02-09-2014 07:20 AM

Just as soon as I read the OP's original post, I thought I smelled something rotten, and it wasn't dead deer. It was previously brought up about how in the world can you own a farm for 20 years in prime deer country and seem to be totally oblivious as to any hunting issues, particularly deer being left to rot on your property. I'm not buying it... none of it. Sounds like a hidden agenda here to me...

buckeyessae 09-22-2014 06:20 PM

you really dont deserve an answer to this silly question but here goes.We hunt for food, to eat,to enjoy the outdoors even if we dont get a deer. While we hunters are eating safe meat from the wild you are chewing on antibiotic and hormonal infested meats from the grocery store..........

Dampland 09-23-2014 02:26 PM

Like others have said, EVERY hunter I know processes his deer and either keeps the venison himself, or donates it to foodshelves.

The ONLY times I have not kept the meat, was when the deer was eaten by predators overnight, and the one time we gutted out a deer that was full of black tumors and pus. We actually called our local warden and told him we did that, and he came and picked up the deer for analysis.

gambit 09-23-2014 02:32 PM

we eat the meat 1st deer gets cut in too roast and speedies seacond ground too buger and can some of it any deer after that ground more burger

Oldtimr 09-23-2014 02:54 PM

is guy has to be a troll for the anti hunters, and if he isn't he should put hunting out of his mind altogether! What a stuoid question, and there are stupid questions.