Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Taste of Apple

Old 02-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Spike

Default Taste of Apple

We have had a pretty cold winter in Walton N.Y. so I decided to give the deer a mid winter treat. On Saturday I went out to the old apple tree behind my parents house that still had about 100-200 still on the branches and knock them down. I stopped up this afternoon after work to see if anything had eaten any and to my surprise when I pulled in the driveway around 4:45 I had 9 deer having a feast. I know they are not getting much nutrition from them but I bet it taste better than just eating browse this time of year.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

I drive buy trees on peoples lawns that are still loaded with apples. I would like to shake them but they may not appreciate a stranger out there hanging from their apple tree. Hopefully the wind will do it's job.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Spike

I used to chop a bag of apples up and spread them out by a hole in a fence when I would bring more they were usually gone and once 1 left an antler for me. Now I have a feeder in the back yard and feed them whole corn found a few antlers there also
Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Even though we have 60 inches of snow fall this winter so far the deer are working the corn fields. The wind has kept them pretty clear except where drifts are. they are also working all the low shrubs and I noticed are trimming all the wild apple trees in my area.

Never hurts to know on a door and explain you want to take the apples off their tree to give to the deer. Most people don't care to clean them up in the spring when thay fall.

Al