Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
camo/concealment images--worth some consideration >

camo/concealment images--worth some consideration

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

camo/concealment images--worth some consideration

Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default camo/concealment images--worth some consideration

I spent a few minutes looking at some images of camo'ed/concealed hunters.

What is striking to me from the photos:

1. The hunter's faces really stand out in a couple of photos, even though the camo was doing an excellent job of concealing the rest of the hunter. The human face just isn't a natural thing.

2. Ghillie suits really get it done. Even something that you could pack in and throw over you while you're sitting in a brush pile would be good .

3. Shadows--It occurred to me that this is an underated part of concealment. Hunting from shadows doesn't get as much press as it probably should. If we're building blinds or stands, some overhead cover/shadow is something to think about.

I'd give a link, but the best images might get me into a problem with the posting rules.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 01-20-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Movement is the big visual giveaway for deer. Deer and man do not see the same. I wouldn't put in all your chips based on how you see things. Also pictures of camo clad hunters are taken at a few yards away near the same height. Not typical hunting ranges and heights.

The ghillie suits have a place, like lying prone at long distances for extended periods. It might get tangled in a brush pile. I have some fond memories of some Marines in ghillie suits at a local Airsoft event. They can be hindering.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

Being still is the biggest concealment factor against deer.
Dressed in blaze orange coat, hat and mitts the deer walk within 25 yards of me out in the woods.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1 Enemy = movement ( as stated )
Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

#1 enemy is scent, you'll never beat a deers nose. As far a whitetail hunting goes, I believe camo is one of the most over rated aspects of hunting.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jerry d
#1 enemy is scent, you'll never beat a deers nose. As far a whitetail hunting goes, I believe camo is one of the most over rated aspects of hunting.
Agree 100 % with scent being the biggest factor. Use the wind correctly and keep movements to minimum and you will see your success increase 10 fold. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:27 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

For sure scent is the biggest enemy. Then movement. And distance plays a big role. If you are less than 20 yds away hunting on the ground, any tiny movement or sound and you are done where as from 50 yds you can move much more. The thin camo burlap they now sell is better suited for making lingerie than a blind - deer can see your movements through it - so I double it up. Breaking up the outline helps a lot too. A great big popup suddenly appearing in the deer's area can trigger a level of alert, but if it is brushed in good they overlook it.

But also, another factor is the deer alert level. Deer that you encounter the first time are much less wary than deer you have already been busted with previously - much less. Often, after getting busted, subsequent hunts from the same stand only end in frustration. For an area with a lot of deer this would be less of a factor. But if you only have 2 or 3 in the area, it is everything.

Last edited by MZS; 01-22-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to hunt in my ghillie,but it did take some getting used to.I just sit in a fold out chair with my ghillie on and hunt with crossbow or rifle.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

No disputing scent and movement as most important. Concealment is always a plus, though.

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
I like to hunt in my ghillie,but it did take some getting used to.I just sit in a fold out chair with my ghillie on and hunt with crossbow or rifle.
This thought is probably more on my way of thinking. I stillhunt a lot, too, but can see a ghilllie hanging up on branches.

Methinks there's a place for one in my gear. Maybe a "toned down" version.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

yep movement and covering your face are the 2 main things i think, or hunt from some kind of blind.