Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer with historical/ weird guns. >

Deer with historical/ weird guns.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer with historical/ weird guns.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Deer with historical/ weird guns.

Let's see some deer shot with those "weird" guns. I shot a 7 point this year with an 1898 .30-40 Krag that my grandpa gave to me. My grandpa bought it in the 60s and it had already been sporterized. The buck came out at about 60 yards and I shot, he took off running and I shot two more times. The last shot broke both front shoulders and dropped him. All three shots were right in the vitals though. It was one of the funnest hunts I've been on. Especially since all the guys in camp were giving me a hard time for carrying that old open sight rifle. Share your weird rifle hunt/pictures!
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Deer with historical/ weird guns.-ncm_0195.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately, I missed a deer this year with an 1944 M38 Mosin Nagant carbine, so I don't have pics.

BTW, for some reason I recall you were working on a Mosin Nagant project or had bought one. Any updates on that? I love old military guns.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

That looks like a pretty neat old rifle. The only one I have that might not be considered among the modern firearms is a sporterized 03A3 Army Springfield in 30-06 that I shot a lot of deer and a couple elk with, but I don't use it much any more. You'd never know it wasn't a modern one to look at it with the synthetic stock it has on it now.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

When I started hunting as a kid in the 70s, I used a .30 Remington pump-action (model 14) for a few years, it was my Grandfather's at the time (I still have it), from the serial number, I believe it was manufactured before 1920 (never shot, but did miss, a deer with it). Then, I switched to a German war production 8mm Mauser (also my Grandfather's) and hunted with that for a long time. No postable pics, though.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if I would call this weird...

It's a .54 caliber flintlock that I made in the '80s...

Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a beautiful flintlock you have there!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

My dad is using his 1895 30-40 Krag. He hasnt hunted with it in decades but is hunting with it again.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Great pics guys, thanks for sharing!
-Jake
Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Unfortunately, I missed a deer this year with an 1944 M38 Mosin Nagant carbine, so I don't have pics.

BTW, for some reason I recall you were working on a Mosin Nagant project or had bought one. Any updates on that? I love old military guns.
I own a couple Mosins. The project was one that had a shot out barrel, it was super corroded. So, I cut down the stock and made a sporter stock out of it that I can put on my other Nagants. I was gonna do a project with one and mount a scope, bent bolt, etc, but decided against butchering the poor old Nagant.
-Jake
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I own a couple Mosins. The project was one that had a shot out barrel, it was super corroded. So, I cut down the stock and made a sporter stock out of it that I can put on my other Nagants. I was gonna do a project with one and mount a scope, bent bolt, etc, but decided against butchering the poor old Nagant.
-Jake
They have an appeal all their own. I keep mine original and put the m38 in a cut down stock in hunting season.

One of my jobs this year is to learn to shoot the irons well. That's why I missed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.