Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

20 gauge brenneke ko for deer

Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Spike

Default 20 gauge brenneke ko for deer

For quite a few years now I have been using lightfield 20 gauge sabots on deer successfully, very accurate, but now the cost of these slugs are killing me !! Around here they are 16 dollars a box of 5. While testing some cheaper alternatives I tried some brenneke 20 gauge ko slugs, low and behold, they shot very well at 60 yards with minimal leading of my rifled barrel, wich cleans up easily. So my question is, for you guys that have used this round, what kind of performance on deer did you get ? 99 percent of my shots are at 75 yds or less.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be willing to ask how many do you normally shoot during a regular deer season?
IMHO, I would say performance outweighs cost if I were only to shoot but 2-3 deer per year if you are gaining the performance you want or need. And 2 boxes of shells are cheap when you break down the cost of fuel, tags, clothes, food, and time spent doing what you enjoy!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I would be willing to ask how many do you normally shoot during a regular deer season?
IMHO, I would say performance outweighs cost if I were only to shoot but 2-3 deer per year if you are gaining the performance you want or need. And 2 boxes of shells are cheap when you break down the cost of fuel, tags, clothes, food, and time spent doing what you enjoy!!!!
***Ditto that! Why would anyone want a "cheap alternative" when they have a proven component?! Ammo is the cheapest part of a hunt if you sit down and think it out. Stay with what you are getting good performance and save a dollar a week for them!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can relate to that. I like to shoot the gun I do most of my hunting with regularly just to always make sure it is still on and make sure I'm ready when that shot Ive been waiting for presents its self.

At $3 a shot it adds up quick....I piss and moan about it but at the end of the day I pay the price for performance.

The actual hunting part is no big deal. I MIGHT shoot 10 slugs a year actually hunting and that is pushing it.....so $30 or less actually hunting.

But if I want to fire off 50 rounds practicing or just getting it dialed in that is $160

Last edited by rockport; 01-15-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

In your case that is a lot of shooting and could get expensive, but I'd bet money that the majority of people don't shoot their slug guns even ten times a year because most don't like the recoil or feel it's necessary.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SecondChance
That's just my point, I like to shoot throughout the year, and not just one week before the gun season here in ohio, at 16 or 17 dollars a box this is impossible for me to do. Besides that I am beginning to think some of the ammunition companys are just trying to rape me !!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kerndog
That's just my point, I like to shoot throughout the year, and not just one week before the gun season here in ohio, at 16 or 17 dollars a box this is impossible for me to do. Besides that I am beginning to think some of the ammunition companys are just trying to rape me !!
What I do is I just randomly buy ammo all year long. Every couple weeks I pick up a $16 box when I'm at the store for whatever reason.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Federal 20ga. power shok saboted slugs these slugs for 20 ga. have a good reputation and many who used to use the Remington Buck Hammers have switched to them. since they are about 10.00 a box.

Have you looked into reloading your 20ga hulls with BPI conponets?

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 01-15-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Get something cheaper to shoot. Use it to work on your shooting form. Then shoot the slug gun a little leading up to season. I picked up a .22WMR a few years ago that I use to work on things like trigger squeeze and breath control, but others would work. It'd probably pay for itself within a year or two, and then you'd own another gun, which is never a bad thing.

OR, shoot the cheap rounds the rest of the year, then switch to the good one's for hunting and tweak your zero accordingly.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
Get something cheaper to shoot. Use it to work on your shooting form. Then shoot the slug gun a little leading up to season. I picked up a .22WMR a few years ago that I use to work on things like trigger squeeze and breath control, but others would work. It'd probably pay for itself within a year or two, and then you'd own another gun, which is never a bad thing.

OR, shoot the cheap rounds the rest of the year, then switch to the good one's for hunting and tweak your zero accordingly.
I do a lot of that but at the end of the day I still like to get time in with the exact setup I will be using.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.