Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Looking for advice on deer stand height >

Looking for advice on deer stand height

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for advice on deer stand height

Old 10-02-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Looking for advice on deer stand height

Could anyone give me their opinion, or direct me to some reading on the proper height to place a tree stand. Both of my tree stands are built into a tree (not portable). Someone had told me once the optimum height in order to disburse your scent but I haven' t seen anything written on this. I am sure that " the higher the better" is probably good advice but I' d just like to know if anyone has an idea on the minimum or could direct me to a link on the subject.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Looking for advice on deer stand height

Diego- I hunt from 15-16 ft in the air. I am not a huge fan of heights, so I do not go as high as others, but I have had success at that height. I have good cover at that height where I hunt, so I do not worry about being seen. Do what you feel comfortable with, people kill deer at heights of 8-10 ft., so you make the call on what height to hunt from.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from around 18-20 feet up. Don' t have a lot of problems getting caught. Remember, the higher you are the more freedom you have to move, and the less chance you have of being winded. If you take extra precautions, you can hunt lower and still be successful, but in the long run, higher is better.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from around 18-20 feet up. Don' t have a lot of problems getting caught. Remember, the higher you are the more freedom you have to move, and the less chance you have of being winded. If you take extra precautions, you can hunt lower and still be successful, but in the long run, higher is better.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:57 AM

One thing folks are forgetting to mention is what type of place are you hunting at. I use to hunt in thick woods anything over 10 foot wouldn' t do any good. If your out in the open heck then you could probably use a helicopter (if legal). The higher the better is true for scent but sometimes being real high can screw you up. Don' t forget as you go higher your shot will change, so if your use to hunting at 10 feet you' ll need to refigure your shot if you go 20 feet.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:00 AM

I use a 20 foot steel cable dog leash, one end clipped to the climber and the other to the bow. When my bow starts lifting off the ground I know I am 20 feet up and I believe that is high enough. Never been scented.. so I guess its good.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:07 AM

my stands are all at 18 to 22 ft.

on my climber I go 20' or better,just depends on the cover and how I can see.sometimes you get to high to see.
I like to be high,so my sent will go away better.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:22 AM

I go about fifteen feet high and never have a problem. I select trees that have good back cover. One thing to remember, the higher you go, the more severe the shot angle. I mean, the vitals on a deer that is pretty much broadside are a lot larger that vitals on one that is broadside but sharply below you. Stand still, be scent free and go where you are comfortable.

Greg
Old 10-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My climbing sticks get me about 15 up, and that' s worked well for me.
I' d go a few feet higher, but another stick would be just too much to carry.

I' ve only been winded twice, that I know of, and both times I was on the ground and the deer approached from downwind (he must have missed the memo), but still didn' t bust me until they were within 10 yards.

Scent is a big deal, but I wouldn' t sweat it. (hee hee)
Just go 15-20 feet up, depending on what the foliage allows, and get comfy.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

There are 7 tree stands on my property. The platform heights range from 10ft to 27ft. It all depends on the specifics of each location. There is not one right or wrong height.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on deer stand height

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.