Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

remington enfield?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
I have rem classic 35 whelen made in 88 you can't unload with safety on, have a 89 classic in 300 wby you can unload with safety on. Must between 1988 and 89.
Was doing a bit of editing when you posted this... I'd look into it, I'd bet there is some sort of a fix... Not saying it will be worth pursuing, but may be worth looking into.

BTW, we did a serial # check on my friends gun, it is a 1957 model.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-26-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

My 721 is made in 1954 and has to he on fire to unload and my oldest 700 made in 71 has to be on fire to unload.for some.reason the model 725 made between the 721/722 and 700 has a Enfield safety. All my other 700 you can unload on safety. So 3 out of my 13 700 can only be unloaded on fire.
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...odel-40-X.aspx
On this website it's states made before 1982 but my 1988'classic you must put on fire to unload.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a lot of rifles from various manufacturers that can't be unloaded without taking the safety off. Remington changed the 700 to a 3 positon safety around 2007 after the Barber court case where they were sued when in 2000 the Mother of the 9 year old kid had her's fire with the safety off and the bullet went through a trailer and killed her boy who was standing on the other side out of sight. The case was originally sealed like Remington was famous for in all the 700 rifle death lawsuits against them, but a Judge later unsealed that one and the father is pursuing matters further trying to take more action against Remington for knowing the rifles needed to be redesigned and not doing it until about 2007 after that Barber lawsuit. A class action lawsuit was just filed this month in regards to all the rifles that remain out there with what is call the "Walker Fire Control" trigger that can go off at any time without touching the trigger.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Remington does not have a 3 safety. They have their standard 2 way safety. Only difference is you can unload with safety on now. Bought my news model 700 204 tiger about 2 years ago. Same safety as they all have a 2 way. The only 3 wa y safety I know remington made was on the model 30 and 725. got 13 700 all have the factory 2 way safeties.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington does not have a 3 safety. They have their standard 2 way safety. Only difference is you can unload with safety on now. Bought my news model 700 204 tiger about 2 years ago. Same safety as they all have a 2 way. The only 3 wa y safety I know remington made was on the model 30 and 725. got 13 700 all have the factory 2 way safeties.
*** Thanks for that information. I've never handled one and just assumed they changed it to a three way like my pre 64 Model 70 Win.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Most of the accidents from remington rifles came from home gunsmiths missing with the triggers, and not knowing what to do. Have never had a remington 700 go off by itself. I have a licenced gun Smith adjust my triggers yo 2- 2 1/2 lbs. Had a brand new remington 700 back in 25/06 come.from to refractory with a 9lbs trigger pull. I think that was dangerous.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the accidents from remington rifles came from home gunsmiths missing with the triggers, and not knowing what to do. Have never had a remington 700 go off by itself. I have a licenced gun Smith adjust my triggers yo 2- 2 1/2 lbs. Had a brand new remington 700 back in 25/06 come.from to refractory with a 9lbs trigger pull. I think that was dangerous.
*** Not true at all if you read everything involved with the Walker trigger and what causes it to malfunction. However, many that own Remingtons say exactly what you did in your post. Mike Walker, the gentleman who worked for Remington and designed the sytem tried to get them to change it because he found out back in the 40s when they came out with it that it could do exactly what happens and it doesn't involve home gunsmithing. Documents from Remington files show they didn't change the system because it would have cost 5 1/2 cents more rifle. They finally made the changes he wanted, but not until a few years ago after they have paid out millions of dollars in court settlements. read up on it and you may change your tune. If I had any Remington rifle that still has the old Walker trigger in it, I would immedately put a Timney or other good manaufacturer's trigger in it. By the way, what is dangerous is a real low poundage trigger pull, not a 9# one.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

What is dangerous is a heavy trigger pull. Instill not shot myself put the person beside me when I have to yank the heavy trigger the gun moves. Also a heavy trigger pull makes and inaccurate rifle and may result in crippling game. I know a lot of people with remington never herd of one firing by itself. The new remington x trigger I don't like as much as the old ones. I really don't like timney triggers. Remington my opinion pays out to keep the press down, and would coast more to fight it out in court then to.settle. people go after the biggest companies because they now they can get easy money. my oldest 700 was bought new in 1971 and has been hunted with hard killed 45 plus deer with it never a problem with the trigger. Have older 712, and 725 with same triggers never a problem. Most of the people I know that hunt and shoot use remington and I never heard them complain only about the new heavy trigger pull.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, the trigger in any rifle is the key to accuracy for sure and is the first thing to check and take care of on one that isn't shooting good groups! I have no idea what the average pull weight used to be on rifles, but I believe it was up around 7# and it was definitely to lessen nimrods from shooting somebody and the companies getting sued. Yes, Remington has settled almost all of the lawsuits against them out of court to keep things quiet and in doing so most cases also required the complainants to keep their mouth shut and the records were sealed.

The problem with the Walker control trigger mechanism is that it may happen one time in a particualr rifle and never again. I have read an awful lot on many different gun and hunting forums and it's unbelievable how many guys reading about it say geez, that happened to me! Thank God they had the gun pointed in a safe direction like they should be at all times and they thought maybe they had goofed and touched the trigger, but were sure they hadn't. The thing that alarms me is that the designer himself, Mike Walker, told Remington not too long after his trigger was put into production back in the 40s, that the design needed to be changed to prevent accidental firing when it started happening. The top brass found out it would cost just 5 1/2 cents per rifle, but decided not to do the change and this went on for decades until 5 million are now out on the market. The new trigger you dislike was finally introduced a few years ago after the Barber court case I mentioned was settled. Anyway, when you have 5 million of something out in the market place that's why you and your friends may not have had it happen YET. However, it has happened to thousands of folks that never attempted any home gunsmithing on them and when talking of firearms safety one accident because of a design flaw is one too many!!! There were even internal Remington documents introduced in various court cases showing that they had figures estimating what percentage of rifles going out of their factories had the chance of accidental firing without touching the trigger. It was a small number, but was in the thousands based on the millions being produced.

They finally changed to the Accumark trigger just a few years ago in the 700, but as far as I know they are still putting them in that cheap, junk 770 they're selling and people are having the bolt handles break off, plastic parts breaking, etc. Read all the terrible reviews on that POS sometime when you get a chance and yet Remington keeps right on manufacturing them too!

IMHO the trigger on a hunting rifle should be set no lighter than approximately 3-3 1/2 pounds and the delicate trigger pull left to the bench shooters where they are in a very controlled situation and bad stuff won't happen since they should always be pointing down range. The first thing I did on the 03A3 I sporterized was to put a Timney trigger in it, adjusted it to 3#, and it was unreal how the groups came down to MOA compared to that heavy pull in the military trigger that was in it. I know from all my reading on this system that if I had a Remington with the old Walker trigger in it, I would be putting a good aftermarket trigger in it. If you don't like a Timney, there is the Jewel and several other good ones that will do the job. To me it's not worth the risk not doing it when you read all the evidence that is out there.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-28-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

If the triggers are dangerous then why haven't they recalled them. Just the older rifles for the safeties for unloading them on fire,not the triggers. If they replace the trigger it is and old type trigger with the new safety not the new mark x trigger. I call remington today to find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.