Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

abnormal antlers

Old 12-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Talk about open a can of worms haha.anyways,merry christmas everyone
Old 12-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Flags...3inchs is not the cut off,less than 3 inches is the cut off.the op should read what top just said and think about it.
I just looked at the MO regulations. This is what it says:

Antlered Deer - A deer with at least one antler a minimum of 3 inches long, except that special restrictions apply in 63 counties.

Antlered deer limit- Each hunter may take only one antlered deer during the firearms deer season. This includes all portions, including the two youth portions. If you want to take additional antlered deer, you must hunt on an archer’s hunting permit during the archery deer season or in a managed hunt where antlered deer can be taken.

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/r...er-regulations

So, if the antler in question is exactly 3 inches long (as the OP has claimed several times) it has to be tagged as a buck. If it is 2 7/8ths then it is a doe. If it was 3 inches then he is over the legal limit by exactly 1 buck since both were taken with firearms and no mention has been made of a special managed hunt. Notice the regulations say special restrictions apply in 63 counties so I'm thinking those counties would be even more restricted in the definition of a legal buck than the general regulations allow. Since I don't know what county these bucks were taken in, I can't say for sure what if any special restrictions may apply.

Last edited by flags; 12-25-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I just looked at the MO regulations. This is what it says:

Antlered Deer - A deer with at least one antler a minimum of 3 inches long, except that special restrictions apply in 63 counties.

Antlered deer limit- Each hunter may take only one antlered deer during the firearms deer season. This includes all portions, including the two youth portions.

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/r...er-regulations

So, if the antler in question is exactly 3 inches long (as the OP has claimed several times) it has to be tagged as a buck. If it is 2 7/8ths then it is a doe. If it was 3 inches then he is over the legal limit by exactly 1 buck since both were taken with firearms. Notice the regulations say special restrictions apply in 63 counties so I'm thinking those counties would be even more restricted in the definition of a legal buck than the general regulations allow. Since I don't know what county these bucks were taken in, I can't say for sure what if any special restrictions may apply.

Yes exactly!a deer with 3 inches of horn is considered a buck.it can not be considered a doe.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Note to all. I edited my last post and added some additional info to it just as Skinner was replying. That is why his quoted text doesn't exactly match mine.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

He is not just guilty of takeing 1 buck to many hes also in violation of tagging an animal with the wrong tag.you can not tag a buck with a doe tag.that is a violation her and is a seperate fine.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Flags and Skinnner---It could be even worse for the OP because if he's in the northern 1/2 of the state in any of the 63 restricted counties shown in orange on the map in this link he is only allowed to shoot a buck with at least 4 points on one side. That's why I posed the question as to what county he was hunting in. This thread gets more interesting the more we discuss it. Here is the link:

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/r...ected-counties
Old 12-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

We are still on the same page flags,we just said the same thing in diffrent ways.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Cool

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Flags and Skinnner---It could be even worse for the OP because if he's in the northern 1/2 of the sate in any of the 63 restricted counties shown in orange on the map in this link he is only allowed to shoot a buck with at least 4 points on one side. That's why I posed the question as to what county he was hunting in. This thread gets more interesting the more we discuss it. Here is the link:

Yes i seen that too top
Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Flags---It could be even worse for the OP because if he's in the northern 1/2 of the sate in any of the 63 restricted counties shown in orange on the map in this link he is only allowed to shoot a buck with at least 4 points on one side. That's why I posed the question as to what county he was hunting in. This thread gets more interesting the more we discuss it. Here is the link:

I saw that. But like I noted, I don't know the county in question so I don't want to just toss out an accusation. Bottom line, in his own words he has admitted to killing (even if accidently) an illegal buck.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Very seldom in law is only one charge laid.ussualy if one law is broken there are other contributeing laws that have been broken.in this case the first law to be broken was the failure to properly tag a game animal which resulted in the second law to be broken which was the harvesting of two bucks.and who knows what else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.