Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Browning silver failled to fire >

Browning silver failled to fire

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Browning silver failled to fire

Old 12-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Spike

Default Browning silver failled to fire

Today I was hunting with my browning silver slug hunter had a deer running at me pulled the trigger and click!!!! Ejected slug shot and put in next shell and it fired like nothing was wrong. 1 hour later next drive same thing pulled trigger and click ejected shell 2 shell fired. Had a buddy tell me of two other silver owners had same thing happen to them in first season all of us are shooting guns new within last year all are shooting Remington Accu-tips. When you look at the primer on the misfired shell it does have a small dent in the primer so not sure if the firing pin is freezing from cold air temp or has oil on it that is slowing the pin on firing. Just curious if anyone else has heard of or experienced the same problems.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

How cold was it?
The cold temp / thick oil thing sounds likely.

Take it all apart and flush out everything with brake cleaner to get rid of the heavy oil and re-oil with something real light like Rem Oil.

Can't hurt a thing and may solve the whole problem.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
How cold was it?
The cold temp / thick oil thing sounds likely.

Take it all apart and flush out everything with brake cleaner to get rid of the heavy oil and re-oil with something real light like Rem Oil.

Can't hurt a thing and may solve the whole problem.
Agreed. Either that or your bolt wasn't closed all the way.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, it sounds like there's to much, or to thick of an oil/grease on the firing pin, or spring creating a sluggish reaction on the first shot, which was loosened up for the second shot.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been told that Remington has had an issue with primers in slugs for the last year or two. Try a different brand and see if they go bang. In my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter, I went through a 5 pack of Remingtons and never got one to go off. Tried some Winchesters and they went off just fine.

Before you tear the gun apart, look at ammo. If it happens with other brands, then the problem is the gun.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Spike

Yes Flags was going to try Horaday SST's today, I put a couple in yesterday after the failure and didn't misfire at all but gun had just come out of truck so it wasn't very cold yet. Guess we'll see what happens hadn't heard about rem bad primers but was kind of wondering. Temps yesterday were about 5 to 12 degrees depending on the time.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

FWIW, in very cold weather my firearms stay in the truck to try and prevent condensation happening when brought inside and having it freeze when taken back out in very cold temps. Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by slughunter71
Yes Flags was going to try Horaday SST's today, I put a couple in yesterday after the failure and didn't misfire at all but gun had just come out of truck so it wasn't very cold yet. Guess we'll see what happens hadn't heard about rem bad primers but was kind of wondering. Temps yesterday were about 5 to 12 degrees depending on the time.
5 to 12 degrees......

Now I really suspect thick oil slowing down the works.
You said its a new or nearly new gun.
I bet it's never been apart to get rid of that thick crap that factories coat everything in to protect against rust between manufacture and sale.
I always flush that gunk out right away on a new gun because I hunt in real cold too.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Spike

Did you clean it when you first got it? Packing grease isnt as bad as it useed to be but you never know.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cold weather will kill a gun

Russians used a little gasoline mixed with their oil to keep things shooting during WWII. Learned that from a WWII Army GI.

Of course, they weren't using expensive Browning guns.

Had an old lever action, that I had to take due care to make sure I cleaned up the firing pin before hunting. At the firing range it's good to note how much the firing pin is indenting the primer, when the gun is shooting good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.