Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
20 gauge slug distance question >

20 gauge slug distance question

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

20 gauge slug distance question

Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
Murby: "It is my opinion, and others may have different experiences, that smooth bore guns with rifled slugs are not good anywhere past 50 yards for an "ethical kill shot."

***Here is another Murby opinion that is incorrect and probably stated just because he has one that ain't jack chit past 50 yards! FYI pardner, some smooth bore guns with rifled slugs will shoot well and kill a deer "ethically" at 2 to 3 times that distance, including a setup that I have on an old Winchester 1200 pump with a short slug barrel that I bought new in 1967.

Awe, isn't that cute...
You're upset because I ignored your rambling private messages...
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murby View Post

Awe, isn't that cute...
You're upset because I ignored your rambling private messages...

***LOL! That would be the last thing that would upset me and I haven't sent you any rambling ones to begin with anyway. Just as FLAGS stated in one of his posts and I've stated above, you post BS you know nothing about and then get upset when somebody calls you out on it. Another good one was your absolutely ridiculous statement that a bow doesn't need to be quiet when hunting/shooting whitetails! If you don't know something that's being discussed in a thread or a post, why not just read and learn from people that do instead of posting stuff that makes you look pretty stupid. The alternative is to keep putting up stuff like this and getting called out on it. It's up to you!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-13-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Hey buddy do u got a older 1100 or a newer one. Mine is older it was made I'd say early 90s. And I shoot the rem regular slugs out of it the cheap ones and it will group 3 inches at 80 yards and I guess dinner plate size at 100 past that I can't get food groups but its a deadly deer drive gun.

Really? I can't get mine to go even that far and stay within an 8 inch circle.

Best I could get it to do was 8 inches at 50 yards using the Remington rifled sluggers...

I bought an 870 with a slug barrel because of that.

It is my opinion, and others may have different experiences, that smooth bore guns with rifled slugs are not good anywhere past 50 yards for an "ethical kill shot"..

Anytime I track a deer more than 50 yards, I get a sinking guilty feeling because I didn't kill it quickly enough.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by oliveschoolhunter View Post
Hey buddy do u got a older 1100 or a newer one. Mine is older it was made I'd say early 90s. And I shoot the rem regular slugs out of it the cheap ones and it will group 3 inches at 80 yards and I guess dinner plate size at 100 past that I can't get food groups but its a deadly deer drive gun.
Mine was handed down, then handed down again to me so I'm not sure on its exact age.. I think it was purchased in the late 1960's...

I'd be surprised if the gun has been fired more than 50 to 75 times in its life...and most of those are probably from me.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was handed down, then handed down again to me so I'm not sure on its exact age.. I think it was purchased in the late 1960's...

I'd be surprised if the gun has been fired more than 50 to 75 times in its life...and most of those are probably from me.
When you shoot a slug through that gun do you pull the recoil straight back or let the gun jump?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I guess they all can shoot differently. My cousion had one that actually shot ALOT better then mine does producing great groups at 100-120 yards. Same gun same shells just somehow differently and it wasn't the shooter cause I could get same groups with his gun.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oliveschoolhunter View Post
Yeah I guess they all can shoot differently. My cousion had one that actually shot ALOT better then mine does producing great groups at 100-120 yards. Same gun same shells just somehow differently and it wasn't the shooter cause I could get same groups with his gun.
Yeah some shoot better than others for sure but they should all do better than 8" groups at 50 yards.

That is really bad.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The limiting factor will be accuracy with a smoothbore shotgun and a rifled slug. Most that I have had any dealings with I would not have trusted past 60 yards. Don't go by random stories of one miracle gun on the internet. Go to the range and test your gun. It's the only way to know. The slug itself will maintain killing energy well past the range you will be able to shoot a smoothbore accurately.

A saboted slug through a rifled slug barrel is another matter and is typically much more accurate. With a scope on a rig like this 150 yards is easily doable and 200 yards is not unheard of.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport View Post
When you shoot a slug through that gun do you pull the recoil straight back or let the gun jump?
I don't do anything.. I let the gun do what it wants..

I don't hold tight when I shoot because bodily functions can affect accuracy. I will hold the gun as loosely as the situation allows so when I'm sighting the gun in on a bench, I'm barely holding it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Yeah some shoot better than others for sure but they should all do better than 8" groups at 50 yards.

That is really bad.
Could it be the ridiculously long barrel? The barrel on this thing needs its own zip code.. Its like 28 inches or something like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.