Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with dad

Old 12-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

My pops has been gone since '92 but he got back into upland hunting while me and my brother were in high school. Then he stopped and I couldn't drag his butt away from his TV remote control and cigarettes. Not sure why he got that way but cancer eventually took him away.

I then stopped hunting during college and shortly afterward. For the past 25 years I haven't slept in on a Saturday in the fall!

But I gotta say this.....FLAGS! You are the man! Holy smokes, when you and your "buddy" were discussing the trespass issue, I clicked on your profile and viewed your album of hunting pics. Anyone who hasn't viewed all the photos of all the hooves and horns that you have brought to the ground should do so right away! I can only imagine the time, expense, skill, good fortune and dedication all of that takes~

Last edited by NEhomer; 12-05-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Spike

Never hunted at all let alone with my dad. he is an avid shooter though, but only after I had moved out. Fortunately we get to go to the range quite often now. He has no interest in hunting.

With that said, with the information from many good folks on this forum and some other research I will be starting father son hunts with my boys in January on a WMA. We know very little, but it is more about just being outdoors with my sons.

I am sure I will be asking many silly questions and causing many bouts of laughter for many of you.

Blessings
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad never hunted but my Uncles and my Grandfather did.My sons liked to hunt but would rather fish,my grand-daughter loves to hunt.Go figure.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

My Dad never hunted. His passion was always golf and he is darn good at it. I went out a couple of times with him but he is not a very patient teacher and I did not enjoy it very much. My Moms brothers all hunted and I would listen to their stories and wanted to go hunting with them so badly. We lived far away so I could not go with them. Even though my Dad did not hunt and never even owned a gun, I must say that he saw I had a passion for it and bought me my first .22 and later a Savage single shot 12ga. He would drop me off in the early morning at my Squirrel hunting spot and would pick me up at the end of the day. I went by myself and learned how to hunt and later on even learned how to trap furbearers. Dad put up with a lot of stuff that he was not really into, so that I could enjoy myself. He is 78 and still beating everyone in golf.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dad and I have been hunting together for 20 years. It is a big part of my hunting experience and when he gets too old to hunt I will be devastated. At 56 he still lugs around a Tree Lounge. I offered to buy him a Summit but he can be stubborn.

Hopefully I will have some grandsons I can take hunting by then. My daughters are unreliable hunting partners.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a dead beat dad that moved back to Kansas after my parents divorced, I grew up in Minnesota, so no I didn't hunt with my dad, but... I had an awesome Grandfather that stepped up to fill that role, and he was a member of an awesome hunting camp. At one time they owned 880 acres, which is a pretty junk of woods here in N.E. Minnesota. The crown jewel of the property was a 100 acre wild rice lake.

My Grandpa used to push me around the lake using a rice pole in a canoe. We would cruise the lake shore jump shooting ducks, and picking up cripples. It's a memory I'll always cherish... Got a damn tear in my eyes just typing this!!!