Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Questions for a first time hunter.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Better get a ten point!!!!!I've had em all and won't buy nothing but any more.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
mapping bucks, yeah thats the one

on crossbows you have a lot to choose from. In the old days before most states allowed it, barnetts were kind of looked down on as cheap, and it was horton and parker and maybe a few others. Nowadays i think barnetts improved, i know they got some fast xbows. In the compound style xbow, i think most people consider 10point one of the best, they also have a budget line made by wicked ridge (i believe). I think the only real recurve style availabe by a reputable company is excalibur. Ive had both and they have their pros and cons, right now i have a excalibur exomax. They are all loud but keep your shots inside 30 yards, aim a little low and most deer are going in the freezer.
thanks. I will be getting a barnett Ghost 400. (I couldn't pass the deal up with it being only 450$. and the seller seems to be telling me the truth and knows I will be driving away; so I doubt he would be trying to hide something)

I cannot use a compound bow and etc. because I broke my sternum a few years back. It hurts for me to stretch once in a while, and I don't want to bother it anymore as it is healing. So a crossbow seems like the best option for me.

plus the people in the hunting group I will be joining don't hunt with the bow. They will go down to set up and etc. but rarely. they more so feed off of what others are telling them or they just "HOPE/PRAY" where they are at is the best spot for the morning. LOL
Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Spike

now for a stupid question.
1. is runt season different from state to state? is there a better time to hunt in runt season. pre, mid or post. etc.
2. is there a better scent to use at pre, mid, peek, post?
3. is there a scent not to use during a time?
4. Does Buck or estrus work better. (I know this is a prefrence, but just curious)
5. Is there a brand of scent that is known for being good. I heard 69 is good, but heard a couple people say code blue is good as well.
6. is there a mask that covers your face up but has ear holes? I searched and cannot find one. I hate having my ears covered, because it seems like I cannot hear those very very soft sounds when a deer jacks up and breaks and limb.
7. favorite caller and callers.
8. any tricks you would like to share. I know people like to keep their secrets. but if you like to share some things, I would love to hear.

also thank you to everyone for being nice and replying and helpful.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mashburn
now for a stupid question.
1. is runt season different from state to state? is there a better time to hunt in runt season. pre, mid or post. etc.
2. is there a better scent to use at pre, mid, peek, post?
3. is there a scent not to use during a time?
4. Does Buck or estrus work better. (I know this is a prefrence, but just curious)
5. Is there a brand of scent that is known for being good. I heard 69 is good, but heard a couple people say code blue is good as well.
6. is there a mask that covers your face up but has ear holes? I searched and cannot find one. I hate having my ears covered, because it seems like I cannot hear those very very soft sounds when a deer jacks up and breaks and limb.
7. favorite caller and callers.
8. any tricks you would like to share. I know people like to keep their secrets. but if you like to share some things, I would love to hear.

also thank you to everyone for being nice and replying and helpful.
1. The rut is different from place to place. Many factors determine rut activity and some factors discourage it like hunting pressure or a very warm fall. Hunting the rut is good no matter when and hunting as much as you can throughout the season is even better.
2. Pre- standard doe urine or standard buck urine. Just prior- buck challenge scent or mock scrape. During- doe in heat estrus or an intruding buck. After nothing until second rut. Use scent wisely and occasionally overuse and deer will catch on quickly.
3. I get whatever is on sale I'm not wasting too much money in this field.
4. Haven't seen a mask that does what your asking but you can always cut your own ear holes and resew the cuts.
5. I'm using a flex tone this year. To be honest I haven't had too much luck with grunt tubes and can't confirm if the bucks I have seen 20-60min after grunting where do to the call or do to hunting on their established trail already.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

As everyone has said, it is hunting, not killing. Do not get caught up in the commercialization and buy every new product. Many times the advertisements are more in hunting than in golf!

#1 rule for someone learning to hunt. GET IN THE WOODS! Deer live in the woods and you will learn more by being out there then anywhere else. Get outside and experience the great outdoors. Best way to hunt is to observe (deer, birds, hawks, squirrels, fall colors, migrating flocks, etc...), just get outside and enjoy.

#2) Get a saftey harness if you are going to be in a tree! No exceptions.

#3) Every deer that comes into range, raise your weapon and prepare to fire. Even if you are not going to kill the deer. Practice making those final moves to be able to kill the deer.

#4) Aim for a spot that will make the bullet or arrow exit the other side in a perfect spot. "Aim for an exit". I always try and take the top off the heart. In this shot, if you are a little low you hit the heart. High = lungs. Back = liver and forward breaks the shoulders.

#5) Practice, practice, practice... hunting, shooting, stalking, tracking, observing, etc...

Talk to us and to your friends. Many of us would love to help someone learn the sport. So as admirable as your quest to be self taught is, you may be selling yourself short by not talking to your friends.

Last edited by Kathwacckkk; 12-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I've had a Barnett and a Horton limbs explode in my face. You want to have a stain in your drawers have that happen a time or two I guarantee you be buying a ten point. Lol.