Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Staying warm in a tree stand

Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i saw a sleeping bag that was military use that had armholes in it for sale on sportsmansguide for like $40. I was thinking of getting one of those and using it as a poor mans heatersuit

this is sort of what I was thinking. An old sleeping bag would help and you can get them for peanuts at old junk shops.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i saw a sleeping bag that was military use that had armholes in it for sale on sportsmansguide for like $40. I was thinking of getting one of those and using it as a poor mans heatersuit
It would work well I think - it will give you that extra wind block and layer of air. Still, if you are in a tree with howling winds, no wind block, and temps at 10F, you will freeze within 4 hours (rather than 1 or 2).
Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
"Alcohol gives a false sense of warmth without actually giving the benefit. This contradicts your earlier observation: Isn't this basically the same theory that taking a swig of alcohol keeps you warmer."
Since that statement was immediately followed by a criticisms of the theory (in context: "Isn't this basically the same theory that taking a swig of alcohol keeps you warmer. After your thinned blood gets out to your capillaries, you feel warmer temporarily, but while there, it dissipates that heat, and returns to your core cooler, leading to being cold in the long run?"), I don't see how anyone could seriously believe that I was taking the position that alcohol actually keeps you warmer -- or how that earlier statement was contradictory with alcohol giving a false sense of security, that's what I was saying both times).
You never answer my main question: If aspirin (as your first post suggests) and alcohol both cause blood to come to the surface of the skin (albeit through different mechanisms -- blood thinner vs vasodilator), and alcohol causes long-term heat loss because it allows heat to dissipate, why doesn't aspirin do the same thing?
My bottom line. This isn't about whether I want to take aspirin for the cold, it's about information. You posted a factual statement. It seems counterintuitive to me, and I have a serious question about it.
I, too, want to know the answer to this. I'm failing to see the difference between the two. To me it seems both, not just alcohol, would be harmful to long-term warmth.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think tree stands...

were designed for archers in warmer weather.

A bridge is one of the coldest spots in winter.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of excellent ideas thus far. I've thought about those heater body suits, but I am on the fence about feeling comfy up in a treestand with my arms zipped inside and the safety aspect (yes, also using a safety strap). I always carry my top layers, both top & bottom, to the stand location adding them after the walk, which always keeps me warm. I've noticed that my worst areas are my feet & hands and use heater pads on both to help. I never wear the same hat as the one I walked in wearing, putting on a dry and scent-free one I carry inside my pack. Recently the use of a neck gaitor also added at the stand location has proved to help as well. I have also used an insulated muff with hand warmers inside as a great way to keep my hands warm, it's warmer and more convenient than using jacket pockets for me.

Something else I've found that works really well for me is the use of boot blankets, insulated "booties" that simply slide on over your boots. If your feet are setting on a metal platform, the temperature they are exposed to is much lower in very cold weather than what they would be exposed to on the ground. The boot blankets ensure that the bottom of your boots are not exposed to those very low temps ( a piece of carpet can help there too). These work way better than toe warmers for me in really cold weather because there's less chance of overheating your feet getting to your stand if there are no toe warmers in for the walk. I'd be interested in trying the newer heated innersoles by thermacell, but no so interested in their cost.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

I did some subsequent research and came up with this:

"symptomatic hypothermia pathologic reduction of body temperature as a result of decreased heat production or increased heat loss. Hypothyroidism, severe blood loss with circulatory failure, and damage to the heat-producing cells of the hypothalamus can lead to decreased heat production. Prolonged exposure to cold, overdosage of antipyretic drugs, such as aspirin, and profuse sweating (diaphoresis) are some causes of increased heat loss and resultant hypothermia.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved."

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...om/Hypothermia

I can't vouch for the reliability of the source, but at least is it's something.

I can see how aspirin would counteract the bodies' thickening of the blood, which may be a benefit to engaging in strenuous activities in cold weather by allowing better oxygen circulation, but I can't see how it would keep you warm, and it could be dangerous if hypothermia was an issue. This is just my opinion/speculation, I'm no expert.

Last edited by Murdy; 12-12-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Spike

under amour
Old 12-14-2013, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default With the frigid weather there are three places ...

not to hunt without moving.

l. on a bridge
2. in a open field
3. on a tree stand, that's suspended up in the wind, and is like a mini bridge.