Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Staying warm in a tree stand

Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Not quite, if you are trying to stay warm, you don't want the blood vessels close to the surface since that is the source of the cold. You want them deeper which is why aspirin is preferred. Besides, are you really trying to say that alcohol use in a tree stand to stay warm is good? Anyone advocating that alcohol is proper while in the field is pretty irresponsible. Is that waht you're saying?
Of course not, and I do not see how anyone could take my post in that way, particularly since the link I provided clearly states: "Alcohol only gives a false sense of warmth. . . . You may feel warmer, but your blood will actually be cooled."

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was questioning your advice about using aspirin to thwart the cold. Now you say that "you don't want the blood vessels close to the surface since that is the source of the cold. You want them deeper which is why aspirin is preferred," which I read as saying aspirin does not cause more blood to reach the surface of the skin. Earlier, you stated, "When you get cold, your body begins to restrict the blood vessels in the extremities (hand, feet, finger, toes) to keep the blood in the core. Since aspirin acts as a blood thinner, it helps overcome this." I read this as stating that aspiring counteracts the effect of the body trying to keep blood in its core, which would result in more blood to the surface of the skin. This appears contradictory to me, perhaps you could clarify this?
To me, it seems 1) you don't want to be counteracting your body's natural response to a potentially dangerous situation (i.e., the process our bodies were designed or evolved (take your pick) to use to enhance survival, and 2) since aspirin and alcohol both result in more blood going to the surface of the skin (not sure if you agree with this regarding aspirin though, as explained above), neither would be a good idea.

(It could be that aspirin counteracts the body's tendency to thicken the blood in cold weather, allowing better circulation and oxygen transfer, which would allow better performance of strenuous tasks, which might be why the military would encourage aspirin use in cold weather. But that's a different issue than staying warm, and not really relevant to sitting in a tree stand. This last thought is mere speculation on my part.)
Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
Of course not, and I do not see how anyone could take my post in that way, particularly since the link I provided clearly states: "Alcohol only gives a false sense of warmth. . . . You may feel warmer, but your blood will actually be cooled."
With this statement you have made my point. Alcohol gives a false sense of warmth without actually giving the benefit. This contradicts your earlier observation: Isn't this basically the same theory that taking a swig of alcohol keeps you warmer. The aspirin isn't just a theory. It has been proven to help and that is the point, it helps but admittedly, it isn't a magic bullet.

I need to point out that I never said an aspirin alone would do the trick. Maybe you didn't notice that I listed a total of 10 points and none of them by itself will completely do the trick. Using all or most of them have proven helpful to me and would therefore most likely help others. You're slitting hairs by only focusing on one of the ten. Remember the originator asked for things that will help. The only single magic bullet to not getting cold in the stand is to not go to the stand in the first place. Everything else is simply methods to lessen the cold and the way different people handle it.

Bottom line, if you don't want to try the aspirin trick or have a hard time believing it, then don't try it. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if you are cold or not. Only you care about your personal level of discomfort, nobody else.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

"Alcohol gives a false sense of warmth without actually giving the benefit. This contradicts your earlier observation: Isn't this basically the same theory that taking a swig of alcohol keeps you warmer."
Since that statement was immediately followed by a criticisms of the theory (in context: "Isn't this basically the same theory that taking a swig of alcohol keeps you warmer. After your thinned blood gets out to your capillaries, you feel warmer temporarily, but while there, it dissipates that heat, and returns to your core cooler, leading to being cold in the long run?"), I don't see how anyone could seriously believe that I was taking the position that alcohol actually keeps you warmer -- or how that earlier statement was contradictory with alcohol giving a false sense of security, that's what I was saying both times).
You never answer my main question: If aspirin (as your first post suggests) and alcohol both cause blood to come to the surface of the skin (albeit through different mechanisms -- blood thinner vs vasodilator), and alcohol causes long-term heat loss because it allows heat to dissipate, why doesn't aspirin do the same thing?
My bottom line. This isn't about whether I want to take aspirin for the cold, it's about information. You posted a factual statement. It seems counterintuitive to me, and I have a serious question about it.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think in this type discussion it's good to learn more about how the original poster hunted, what temps are we talking, how far do you walk into the stand, etc...

We have all known for decades to wear layers, don't work up a sweat, keep you head and feet warm...To someone less experienced, this might do the trick...But, if he is talking about -20 degrees then you have to take it to the next level...
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that wearing my duck hunting rain pants while in a stand does a very good job of blocking the wind. While having a light hooded zippered jacket(with multiple light layers inside this) inside another light jacket does very well for my upper body. I wear light socks to the stand and put on my warm one when on stand. So I don't have to wear heavy sweaty socks inside sweat soaked boots.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Highly recommend hand and body warmers. I should own stock in them with how many I use a season. Lol
Old 12-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I highly recommend a warm bag, or heater body suit. I got my wife a warm bag a couple years ago and she hasn't been cold since. I used it twice this year, both times I left my "warm layers" home, went in dressed as I would for a 40-50 degree day.

- first day was 20 degrees and 20 mph wind. Sat for hours and was toasty warm. Actually thought the weather guys were wrong on temperature, until I got out of it and walked 15 minutes back to truck and froze solid.

- this past weekend, when I left home at 5:15, it was 7 degrees. High for the day was supposed to be around 20. I sat from just before light to 10 AM, about 4 hours. It was COLD. but I was not. I won't say I was warm, but I was comfortable.

Allows you to layer lightly for the walk in, and then get in the warm bag. Now add to this that I don't actually fit in my wifes warm bag, it comes up to my arm pits, so I put my jacket on, but didn't zip it. Had a WARM hat on that covered my neck. I was VERY comfy on a day I normally would have been frozen solid depsite layers.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jepcho
Highly recommend hand and body warmers. I should own stock in them with how many I use a season. Lol
I second the hand warmers! I also use the foot warmers that are shaped like and in-sole. I was hunting in 4 degree weather last weekend and my feet were toasty warm.

I also use a sleeping blanket in the stand when it's super cold.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

In the mornings I carry a 2 quart thermos of black tea laced with 8 table spoons of honey. The tea gets me warmed up quick and the honey prolongs the heat.
In the afternoon I take 2 quarts of hot chicken broth to the stand. getting out of the wind does more to staying warm that just about any thing I have encountered.

Al
Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

i saw a sleeping bag that was military use that had armholes in it for sale on sportsmansguide for like $40. I was thinking of getting one of those and using it as a poor mans heatersuit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.