Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Almost a 10-Point

Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Almost a 10-Point

Shot this guy a few days ago. He has a broken G4 and main beam (if I am correct on my points) on the left hand side. A buddy of mine said they can be fixed. I would probably mount him if he didn't have the points broken off. I kind of like the idea of keeping nature as it was so I was thinking about just cutting off the antlers and keep those. What would you guys do?
Attached Thumbnails Almost a 10-Point-image-2-.jpeg   Almost a 10-Point-image-3-.jpeg   Almost a 10-Point-image.jpeg  

Last edited by cal516; 11-27-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Spike

Thats an interesting looking deer. When I look at a mount, I consider the whole animal. The markings, the pelt color, the facial structure (though thats actually a mold and not the real structure). Anyways, my points is that it takes the whole deer to make the mount cool, and thats a cool looking animal. I love the coloration.

I'd mount it.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do a euro mount. Not near as expensive.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mounting has got to be a personal preference thing based on the rack, the deer, the hunt, the story, all that. I have not mounted one yet because I haven't shot one that I really wanted mounted yet. But if it's one you want mounted and want to remember it that way, then get it done! The broken tines are part of that deer, not something that needs fixed.
-Jake
Old 11-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the good looking buck. I probably would leave the antlers as they are.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get a shoulder mount but leave the antlers as they are.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could always do the mount and have it turned so the broken side touches the wall. I know a guy that did that with an elk with a busted main beam. Where the antler touches the wall he put a mirror so the elk is reflected in the mirror. It looked really sharp and with the reflection you really didn't notice it was broken.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a nice buck! To mount or not is a personal choice, but if I were going to mount that buck I'd leave the antlers the way they were when I shot him.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Spike

It's a personal preference. If it were me I would like the deer mounted as it was. I like shoulder mounts, but they can be pricey. Euro mounts are definitely a more affordable option and I love the way they look. We have done several euro mounts ourselves, it's neat having your own work up on the wall.