Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
where do i hunt when deer are under high pressure >

where do i hunt when deer are under high pressure

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where do i hunt when deer are under high pressure

Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default where do i hunt when deer are under high pressure

where do i hunt when deer wont move and they are hunkered down somewhere?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure what type of habitat you are hunting but find the food sources and bedding areas cut em off going to and from.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find the thickest nastiest area you can find, get in early and leave late.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by White-tail-deer
Find the thickest nastiest area you can find, get in early and leave late.
JMHO... But that's not necessarily real good advice... Sorry

Messing with areas yer not familiar is a tough thing to do (especially potential bedding areas)... Without doing some good scouting messing with bedding areas is a potential hunting death sentence for those who don't know WTH their doing!!!

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-27-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
JMHO... But that's not necessarily real good advice... Sorry

Messing with areas yer not familiar is a tough thing to do (especially potential bedding areas)... Without doing some good scouting messing with bedding areas is a potential hunting death sentence for those who don't know WTH their doing!!!

Now that...that is sound advice.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

White-tail-deer is ABSOLUTELY right.

The worse, and the thicker, the better - - even if it is near a road or a parking area, or a place where there is a lot of human activity.

In short, anywhere most guys are too lazy to hunt.

'cause that's where they're at.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Spike

Not sure if a deer drive is possible but that could be an option. As far as hunting pressured deer, that is thought to crack. They have to et sometime but usually they won't be there until after dark. Try to find where they're bedding and cut them off to and from food. This will probably be different than most hunters that'll be sitting over the food sources.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grawlix
White-tail-deer is ABSOLUTELY right.

The worse, and the thicker, the better - - even if it is near a road or a parking area, or a place where there is a lot of human activity.

In short, anywhere most guys are too lazy to hunt.

'cause that's where they're at.
I will agree that it's a good idea if you've scouted the area, and know what yer doing.

I believe it's a bad idea if your going into an area like that for the first time in the middle of the season. Chances are good that areas like that are holding pressured deer, but just bumbling your way in may drive them totally off territory for the rest of the season. doing something like that is just adding more pressure to an already pressured situation

That said, if it's coming to the end of the season that may be the best play one has left.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

I just came back from hunting WV and the woods I hunt had very light pressure this year. I just had to find a spot no one went to. If there is heavy pressure there, hunters will move even the spooked night shift deer. If there is medium pressure (The worst case), there are enough hunters to spook all the deer into feeding at night. Light pressure and there will be places where the deer will still get up and feed during the day. You have to determine what the pressure level is where you hunt. If you say it is heavy, do as previous posters say and hit the thick inaccessable spots. If it is real cold, look for a spot where the sun really hits when it comes up. In the mountains you can hear the shooting pick up between 9:30-11:00 because the sun hits the one slope. I often walk around new areas by the 3rd day. Even if you spook deer and don't get a shot, you get an idea where they go and in the upcoming years it really pays off. Some years there may be little feed there and therefore, few deer. It is a learning process that only you can do.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Banned

I have a stand I call "the escape route". It is positioned next to a huge marsh. If a deer gets spooked it always seems to run to the trail that leads into the marsh and that's where my stand is. If there's other hunters nearby try to find a place where the deer run to when they're spooked because I have shot many deer in this stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.