Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with Neighbor Problems

Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

There is no such thing as an innocent trespasser. Saying they didn't realize they were on private property or that the were lost is the oldest excuse for the seasoned poacher/ trespasser going. True sportsmen have respect for private property and the people who pay taxes on them. All others fall into that large pot of boiling dung called hunting slobs.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murby
Well, you're not wrong.. but you're not right either...

Think about what you're saying carefully.. Expand and extrapolate to what other hunters may encounter where "OTHERS" are hunting.. (IE: Beyond your own known area)

Do you still think what you are suggesting is practical?? In many situations, it may not even be possible let alone practical..

And from the other perspective, good luck trying to call me! My phone number isn't listed.. Now what? Should we just let the wounded animal die and rot because there might be some over zealous, disconnected from reality, land owner who feels that his land is somehow special and that a human presence might upset the entire ecosystem?

You say "Trespassing is trespassing" ?? Think of what would happen if everyone thought with such tunnel vision..
56 MPH in a 55 MPH zone? Hey, speeding is speeding.. here's your ticket.
Oh the examples could go on and on... Hopefully you get the idea..

I do understand what you're trying to say however.... The jackazz with his 12ga and portable blind who sneaks onto your private property without need or regard for your rights needs to be prosecuted. But those are the exceptions you always hear about, not the rule.

The vast majority of trespassers don't realize they are trespassing, or are just passing through and mean no harm or foul...
Murby it's seem like your trying to make excuses for trespassing on someone else's land....
Here in Virginia if you shoot a deer and it leaves your property and goes on your neighbors you NEED PERMISSION to retrieve your deer...
If you can't find the neighbor or he won't let you get it.....it's best to call the Game Warden and explain the situation .....he may just go and talk to the neighbor or just go with you to get your deer....
If I caught you or anyone else on MY LAND and you used the excuse that you were FORCED to trespass there had better be someone standing behind you with a gun pointed at your back.....because if not I'm calling the Game Warden and you can tell him that STUPID excuse and see if he buys it....
Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

That last post by Murby takes the cake when he now is accusing me with not getting along with my neighbors, LOL! FYI pal, I get along with all my neighbors down where I live and up north where I have hunting land. In fact, I even cut part of the lawns for the neighbors that live on both sides of me since I'm retired and have the time and they are both working stiffs. Other than the one jackass that owned the 20 acres along the north side of my 20 up in Kalkaska for several years back in the 80s, I have never had any other problems up there either and I've owned both properties since the early 70s! In fact, my 20 acres and the neighboring property isn't posted and she allows me access through her 20 to get to over to 400 acres of state land that is basicly landlocked by private property and most of it is hunted only by myself. All the other property owners up there pretty well allow each other access to each other's properties as long as they know who and when a person will be around. If and when they are hunting their own land, everyone respects that and doesn't bother them. It has made for a pretty good 40 years up there, other than the 3 years that one jackass was next door and he moved out to CA and joined all the fruits and nuts out there!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
Murby it's seem like your trying to make excuses for trespassing on someone else's land....
Then I guess things aren't what they seem... I'm just trying to point out that its not the crime of the century and people shouldn't get their panties bunched up over it.. That is of course, unless the trespasser is up to no good.

Here in Virginia if you shoot a deer and it leaves your property and goes on your neighbors you NEED PERMISSION to retrieve your deer...
Yup.. here too... We also have a speed limit of 70mph on the highways.. at 71mph, you're breaking the law..

If you can't find the neighbor or he won't let you get it.....it's best to call the Game Warden and explain the situation .....he may just go and talk to the neighbor or just go with you to get your deer....
In a perfect world with a sterile bubble in your little corner, that might be a great idea... But we don't live in that bubble.. Ok, I guess some people think they do, but reality is different.
Oh, and I should point out that if its "a neighbor", then yes, you should already have permission.. In fact, you should have a relationship with them that transcends needing explicit permission.

If I caught you or anyone else on MY LAND and you used the excuse that you were FORCED to trespass there had better be someone standing behind you with a gun pointed at your back.....because if not I'm calling the Game Warden and you can tell him that STUPID excuse and see if he buys it....
Right! You go ahead and do that and let me know what happens ok?
I'll bet money the trespasser goes home with his deer and that's the end of it.
Game Wardens are not your personal hit squad when someone wrongs you unintentionally in a minor way. And I stress the word unintentionally meaning that they're just there to recover their kill. Not hunting, not casually strolling around to see what you have.. but actively following a blood trail...

I can't count the number of times I have seen people call the police on a neighbor trespassing for one reason or another... And in all cases where no damage or malicious act was committed, did I ever see anyone get arrested or ticketed.
Game wardens have important duties.... placating an unreasonable land owner is not among them. (And yes, I am a land owner myself who is surrounded by corn fields and forested areas in a very low density populated area)

I literally find it comical at how possessive, protective and down right zealous you folks are about your little pieces of dirt...
Getting all worked up over something so mundane and inconsequential as another person being on your property..

It makes me wonder if people are like that because they have nothing else in their life that is important.

Let me repeat,,,

And people wonder why there are so many nightmare neighbors these days...
You can take any attitude you want... its your land for sure.. I'd bet money that you have one more more neighbors that are always a problem for you.. Trust me, its not them who is the problem.. its you that are a problem for them. And yes, you have every right to be that problem if you wish.

I've been friends with every neighbor I have ever lived near my entire life... and the neighbors next to them, and usually the neighbors next to those...

But to each his own... Good luck with your attitude... You certainly have every right to it.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That last post by Murby takes the cake when he now is accusing me with not getting along with my neighbors,
Just for the record, I wasn't accusing YOU PERSONALLY.. (although I see how it looked that way so I apologize if you thought that)

I shouldn't have used the word "YOU".. my bad.. I should have said "People who are that possessive of their property" or something like that..

Being so defensive and aggressive with someone who wrongs you in such a mundane way is just not worth the aggravation.

Again, my apologies if you think it was an accusation against you personally.. I don't know you so I have no way of making any determination of that type.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Murby: "I literally find it comical at how possessive, protective and down right zealous you folks are about your little pieces of dirt...
Getting all worked up over something so mundane and inconsequential as another person being on your property..

It makes me wonder if people are like that because they have nothing else in their life that is important.

Let me repeat,,,

And people wonder why there are so many nightmare neighbors these days...
You can take any attitude you want... its your land for sure.. I'd bet money that you have one more more neighbors that are always a problem for you.. Trust me, its not them who is the problem.. its you that are a problem for them. And yes, you have every right to be that problem if you wish.

I've been friends with every neighbor I have ever lived near my entire life... and the neighbors next to them, and usually the neighbors next to those...

But to each his own... Good luck with your attitude... You certainly have every right to it."

***You, Sir, need to take a hike because the more you post the more trouble you're making for yourself. Those first two sentences above are so goofy, followed by a repeat of what you have already posted and putting part of it in bold, that there isn't much more to say!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Murby
Game Wardens are not your personal hit squad when someone wrongs you unintentionally in a minor way. And I stress the word unintentionally meaning that they're just there to recover their kill. Not hunting, not casually strolling around to see what you have.. but actively following a blood trail...
[/B]
Its common knowledge and proper etiquette to gain permission to a property you otherwise do not have permission to cross before retrieving a deer.

Game Wardens are not a personal hit squad BUT you should have respect for the property owner. I was talking to a Game Warden the other day who said she only had one problem where a property owner was approached so that a hunter could remove a deer from their property (he had shot it and it ran onto the other property) and the property owner did not allow the hunter onto the land to retrieve the deer. The Game Warden was called and they got the deer off the property. MOST people will say yes, you can get your deer. If you have an issue where the property owner denies you access, get the Game Warden.

WHY would you tresspass onto someones land without permission and take that chance of burning a bridge you could have otherwise built, just for the sake of retreiving a deer?

It all comes down to respect. You respect the land owner and the laws, regardless of where the blood trail leads.

Keep in mind that YOU may be shot on sight because there are whackos out there. There was an issue on the news last week where a man shot an alzheimer's patient who had wandered onto his property in the middle of the night. The patient didn't respond to his warnings, it was the middle of the night, so the property owner shot the poor guy thinking he was up to no good.

If you have no idea who owns the property and/or do not have permission to cross the property, stay off the property. You have no idea if and how the property will be defended. Honest mistakes are made and aside from that, there are crazies out there.

Last edited by KonKata; 12-01-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

To all here who poo poo the property owners rights.

Go buy some land, pay the note on it for years till it's finally yours free and clear, pay the taxes on it, put your sweat into keeping it up, then tell us about how property owners are too possessive over their little patches of dirt.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by KonKata
Its common knowledge and proper etiquette to gain permission to a property you otherwise do not have permission to cross before retrieving a deer.

Game Wardens are not a personal hit squad BUT you should have respect for the property owner. I was talking to a Game Warden the other day who said she only had one problem where a property owner was approached so that a hunter could remove a deer from their property (he had shot it and it ran onto the other property) and the property owner did not allow the hunter onto the land to retrieve the deer. The Game Warden was called and they got the deer off the property. MOST people will say yes, you can get your deer. If you have an issue where the property owner denies you access, get the Game Warden.

WHY would you tresspass onto someones land without permission and take that chance of burning a bridge you could have otherwise built, just for the sake of retreiving a deer?

It all comes down to respect. You respect the land owner and the laws, regardless of where the blood trail leads.

Keep in mind that YOU may be shot on sight because there are whackos out there. There was an issue on the news last week where a man shot an alzheimer's patient who had wandered onto his property in the middle of the night. The patient didn't respond to his warnings, it was the middle of the night, so the property owner shot the poor guy thinking he was up to no good.

If you have no idea who owns the property and/or do not have permission to cross the property, stay off the property. You have no idea if and how the property will be defended. Honest mistakes are made and aside from that, there are crazies out there.
In IL a warden can't help you. If the owner says no thats pretty much it. You either trespass or move on.

At least that is what I was told when it happened to me

Last edited by rockport; 12-01-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by KonKata
Please be sure to read the entire thread if you have not already because I wholeheartedly agree with you. I just think that people have extreme attitudes where none are needed.

Since when does the game warden have the authority to over-ride a land owners rights? That's something I'm not familiar with..
Or are you suggesting the game warden got the owners permission somehow?

Again.. I agree completely... but lets think outside the box for second. You're 300 miles from home on state land in the middle of no-where-ville and your deer runs 50 yards into land you're not sure is state land or not... Your only clue is a 40 year old, mostly broken down, rusted out, old barbed wire fence... Now what?

Everything comes down to respect.. this is why these people get so uptight about simple and mundane violations. They take it personally as an attack on their domain..
Although, in all fairness, I guess sometimes it is.. but that's not the point.

Too bad no one has invented IDIOT detectors... Kind of makes a case for gun control when you hear these stories. My guess is that anyone who would shoot someone who is trespassing has had other mental and aggression issues in their life that should have been parsed before anyone let them own a firearm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.